07. Awards received
Nadine's work dealt with political issues as well as the moral and psychological tensions of her country. It included themes of love and politics. She told stories of ordinary people and her prestigious awards included:
- W H Smith Commonwealth Literary Award for Friday's Footprint in 1961.
- James Tait Black Memorial Prize for A Guest of Honour in 1972.
- In 1974 her novel The Conservationist was a joint winner of the Booker Prize.
- Central News Agency Literary Award for The Conservationist in 1974.
- Grand Aigle d'Or (France) in 1975. - Central News Agency Literary Award for Burger's Daughter in 1979 and July's People in 1981. - Scottish Arts Council Neil M Gunn Fellowship 1981. -Modern Language Association Honorary Fellow 1984.
- Rome Prize 1984. - Premio Malaparte Italy in 1985.
- Nelly Sachs (Germany) Prize 1985. - Bennett Award (US) in 1987.
- Anisfield-Wolf Book Award for A sport of nature in 1988. - Central News Agency Literary Award for My son's story in 1990. - Nobel Prize for Literature in 1991.
- Commonwealth Writer's Prize for the best book from Africa in 2002. - Officer of the Legion of Honours in 2007. - Golden Plate Award of the American Academy of Achievement in 2009.
The Literary award