Access & Borrowing
UJ Library Access
All current UJ staff are automatically members of the UJ libraries.
Provide the Lending desk staff with proof of employment and we will create a record for you.
Access to online Library resources
This is managed either via WAM or via OpenAthens. If it is via OpenAthens there will be a note next to the Database title in the Database list
1. WAM Access to Online Library Services/Resources (Online databases, “My UJLink”, UJoogle, Electronic Course Reserves and Interlibrary Loans)
Use your UJ Email password and your UJ username (Staff) or UJ student number (Campus Option) OR
Use the current Library Option (i.e. Surname, UJ ID & Library PIN)
2. OpenAthens Access to Online Resources (such as online Databases, UJoogle)
Access online Library services by using your UJ username (Staff) or UJ student number and your UJ Email password.
For more information on access using OpenAthens, visit this OpenAthens Guide.
Permanent academic staff may borrow 30 items for a period of 60 days.
Temporary academic staff may borrow 6 items for a period of 14 days.
Post Doctoral students/Research Fellows may borrow 30 items for a period of 60 days.
For more information on membership types and borrowing privileges, see Lending Services Q1: “Who may borrow and for how long?”
All items from the general collection may be renewed twice if the item has not been placed on hold for/by another client.
Please note: Items from the reserve collection CANNOT be renewed.
Items may be renewed by telephone (001 559 2165), online (access the Library Catalogue, click on “My UJLink” and follow the prompts) or in person at the Lending desk
Lending Self Service
You can perform the following services yourself without assistance from the Lending desk staff
- Access your patron record (library record)
- Place a hold on an item
- Renew items currently checked out
- Access class notes or articles placed on the reserved collection
- Issue items to yourself (self-checkout)
For detailed instructions, visit Lending self service.
If an item shows ‘available’ on the catalogue, but it is not on the shelves:
- Complete the online “Missing books” form
- The Library staff will search for the item and place it on hold for you if found.
- If not found, the item will be indicated as “Missing” on the catalogue.
Inter Library Loan (ILL)
A service which helps you to obtain items that are not available in the UJ Libraries. These items may be obtained from national or international sources. For more information see ILL
Inter Campus Loan (ICL)
A service through which material held by one UJ campus Library is sent to another UJ campus library for your convenience. For more information see ICL
According to an agreement between Higher Education Institutions in South Africa, staff as well as Masters & PhD students can obtain membership to other University Libraries in order to access resources not available in their own University libraries. This type of membership to another University Library is only valid till the end of each academic year and must be renewed annually.
To apply for such membership:
- complete a Letter of Introduction application form and submit to the relevant Subject Librarian.
- ensure that you have no overdue items or outstanding fines at UJ Libraries
- you will be informed as soon as the Letter is ready and a copy of the letter will be sent to the selected library
- take your copy of the Letter with to the selected library
- adhere to all the rules and regulations of that library