Access & Borrowing
UJ Library Access
All current UJ staff/students are automatically members of the UJ libraries.
To make your library experience as productive and pleasant as possible, you need to adhere to the following library rules.
Access to online Library resources (on campus and off campus)
This is managed either via WAM or via OpenAthens. If it is via OpenAthens there will be a note next to the Database title.
1. WAM Access to Online Library Services/Resources (Online databases, “My UJLink”, UJoogle, Electronic Course Reserves and Interlibrary Loans)
- Use your UJ Email password and your UJ student number (Campus Option) OR
- Use the current Library Option (i.e. Surname, UJ ID & Library PIN)
2. OpenAthens Access to Online Resources (some online Databases, UJoogle)
Access online Library services by using your UJ username (Staff) or UJ student number and your UJ Email password.
For more information on access using OpenAthens, visit this OpenAthens Guide.
- You will need your UJ student card to borrow books.
- Undergraduate students may borrow 6 books for 14 days.
- Avoid Library fines by returning or renewing borrowed books on or before their due date. You are responsible for loss, damages and fines incurred on books borrowed on you name/card – don’t share your Library books or your card with others!
- Books may be returned to the circulation desk.of any UJ Campus Library.
- The law collection is a closed collection and books may not be borrowed, but can only be used on the floor (Level 6). Academic staff attached to the law faculty may borrow books. Certain categories of postgraduate law students and UJ academics from other faculties are allowed to borrow a limited amount of books. Please contact the law librarians for enquiries.
All items from the general collection may be renewed twice if the item has not been placed on hold for/by another client)
Please note: Items from the reserve collection CANNOT be renewed.
Items may be renewed by telephone (011 559 2165), online (access the Library Catalogue, click on “My UJLink” and follow the prompts) or in person at the Lending desk.
For more information, see Lending Services.
Lending Self Service
You can perform the following services yourself without assistance from the Lending desk staff
- Access your patron record (library record)
- Place a hold on an item
- Renew items currently checked out
- Access class notes or articles placed on the reserved collection
- Issue items to yourself (self-checkout)
For detailed instructions, visit Lending self service.
Self check-out machine
Don’t stand in line when you want to borrow or return a book, use the self check-out machine!