Department of Finance and Investment Management Home » College of Business and Economics » Schools » School of Management » Departments »
The Department of Finance and Investment Management (DFIM)
The DFIM offers market-relevant and challenging educational programmes that are required for leadership in a complex and rapidly changing world. The Department offers various academic programmes that allow students the freedom to explore their intellectual and personal passions within the finance industry.
Some of our awesome ACHIEVEMENTS and why you should start your university journey with us
- The first university in Africa to be recognised by both the CFA and CAIA institutions.
- The only university in South Africa to secure an academic partnership with Wiley for CFA Level 1.
- The Department secured a highly sought-after internship programme with Schroders (https://www.schroders.com/), the biggest privately owned asset managers in the world in 2019, for a BCom Honours in Investment Management graduate
- The Department has secured funding for four proposals submitted to the Insurance Sector Education and Training Authority (INSETA) in 2020. These projects includes student bursaries towards scarce skill qualification and to reskill individuals in the insurance industry, learner wrap around support programmes for the diploma students and a financial literacy project for the Cooperative financial Institutions (CFI).
- Our programmes are accredited and affiliated by a number of professional bodies, including the SACPVC, FPI, CFA, CAIA – review our programmes for more information.
- The Department launched the new Advanced Diploma in Real Estate in January 2020 using gamification to drive engagement. This interactive and first-of-its kind programme involves the use of an interactive online and app-based platform aligned with the drive for 4IR innovations . The programme is interactive, engaging and immersive, use gamification and 3D renderings and simulations to bring students into direct contact with the course’s content.
Our student successes in the 2020 academic year
- Financial Planning honours graduates – student success in the Professional Competency Exam (PCE), an exam by the Financial Planning Institute of South Africa (FPI). The pass rate of UJ candidates exceeded the national average by 10% with a UJ student among the Top 5 in the February 2020 examination.
- Investment Management honours students– the UJ CFA team qualified for the CFA Challenge finals.
- The CFA Institute Research Challenge is an annual global competition that provides university students with hands-on mentoring and intensive training in financial analysis and professional ethics.
- Advanced Diploma in Financial Markets (fully online) – the first two students graduated from the programme; they remarkably completed their online Advanced Diploma in Financial Markets in less than two years which include the completion of 11 academic modules
- Advanced Diploma in Real Estate (fully online) – In the first year of offering, 96 students registered for this programme and 64 of these students have successfully completed it.