About UJ Convocation
If you have successfully completed an approved subsidised (formal curricular) curricular course at the University of Johannesburg (UJ), and its legacy institutions - particularly the former Rand Afrikaans University (RAU) and the former Technikon Witwatersrand - then you are part of the UJ Convocation. Convocation is the official interface between UJ and its alumni and the primary channel for UJ Alumni to pass their opinions to the University for consideration.
The Institutional Statute of UJ determines that the membership of the Convocation consists of:
- Alumni (diplomates and graduates of formal subsidised qualifications from the University of Johannesburg, the former Rand Afrikaans University and the former Technikon Witwatersrand)
- The Vice-Chancellor and Principal, Deputy Vice-Chancellors, the Registrar and other members of the Management Executive Committee of the University;
- Permanent academic employees of the University;
- Retired permanent academic employees of the University.
There are various mechanisms through which Convocation discharges its mandate:
- The Executive Committee of Convocation meets annually to discuss University matters, changes affecting UJ alumni and to develop approved responses;
- The Annual Meeting of Convocation (AGM) is open to all members of Convocation as per the composition highlighted above;
- The Executive Committee of Convocation receives reports from the University, then discusses and agrees on opinions and resolution to be passed on to the University;
- The Convocation is a legally constituted body that concerns itself with key issues of concern to alumni. It must, however, always recognise the concerns and interests of the University.
Want to get involved? Connect with us on the details below:
Click here to update your details
For enquiries contact the University (011) 559 4555, email@example.com, online chat (https://www.uj.ac.za/Pages/uj-chat.aspx)