About Dr Nonhlanhla Maseko
Degree: PhD in Inclusive Education
Institution: University of Johannesburg
Title: Caregivers’ experiences and support of children with intellectual disabilities living in foster care in Gauteng Province.
Nonhlanhla Desiree Maseko is a Lecturer in the Department of Educational Psychology at University of Johannesburg. Her responsibilities include teacher training, postgraduate supervision and research, community engagement
- Foster Care/Caregiver support.
- Parental involvement and support. /Family, school and community partnership towards inclusion of learners with disabilities.
- Learner support and Children with intellectual disabilities.
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION:
- Inclusive Education
- Life Orientation
- Remedial Education
- B.Ed. (MOFPNY4) (METH: ADD Neurodevelopmental Disorder in Learning)
- B.Ed. (MOFPNA&B3) (METH: ADD Neurodevelopmental Disorder in Learning)
- PG Dip (ECIS00Y) Community Involvement in inclusive school
Selected topics in Masters and Doctoral studies supervised:
Parental experiences in supporting children with Intellectual Disabilities in a full-service school setting (completed in 2021).
- Teachers’ perception regarding retirement in Gauteng Schools
- Family-school partnership in the transitioning of learners with learning disabilities into a special class.
- Family, school and community partnership in supporting learners with learning disabilities
- Parental role in enhancing academic performance of learners with autism spectrum disorder in Manzini mainstream primary school
- Family-school partnerships in behavioral modification of learners in high school settings.
M.Ed. in Inclusive Education
- The challenges experienced by teachers in identifying learners who experience barriers to learning in a rural full-service school in Kwazulu- Natal (completed in 2012.)
- Supporting teachers to implement inclusive education in Kwaluseni district, Swaziland (completed in 2012).
- Strategies to address auditory perceptual deficits in a school of skills in the northern suburbs of Cape Town (completed in 2016).
- Providing support for grade 10 learners to improve academic performance at Kwa-Mhlanga circuit in Mpumalanga Province: A case study (completed in 2017).
- Experiences of learners with special educational needs: Transition from a formal class to a special class (completed in 2020).
- Experiences of the school based support team in schools for learners with learning disabilities: A case study at Vhembe district (completed in 2020).
- Teachers ‘challenges in supporting learners with socio-economic barriers to learning (completed in 2021).
M.Ed. in Educational Psychology
- Teachers’ Professional development needs in supporting learners with specific learning disorder (completed in 2021).
- Teacher’s experiences in supporting learners with selective mutism in an inclusive classroom (completed in 2021).
Current M.Ed. in Inclusive Education
- Teachers challenges in supporting learners with barriers to learning in the intermediate phase.
- Parental involvement in transitioning of learners with intellectual disabilities from mainstream to special school.
- Caregivers’ experiences in communicating with children with severe to profound intellectual disabilities in selected special care centres in Gauteng.
- Parental role in supporting learners with barriers to learning in a secondary school.
- Parental involvement in the education and development of learners with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Home school partnership in supporting learners in a public primary school in Soweto.
- Parental involvement in supporting grade 4 learners experiencing English language as a barrier to learning.
- Home, school partnership in supporting academic performance of intermediate phase learners in North West province.
- Home, school partnership in the education of learners with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
BOOK CHAPTERS CONTRIBUTED
- Handbook for Grade R Teaching
Edited by R Davin
Pearson – ISBN 978-1-77578-329-9
2. Including the Excluded: Teaching the Vulnerable in the 21st Century
Edited by MD Magano and U Ramnarain
Pearson – ISBN 978-1-7759-5299-2
3. Educational Psychology and Teaching Children About Health,1st Edition
Editors: Estelle Weinstein,Efrem Rosen, Mncedisi Maphalala, Ramodungoane Tabane
Cengage Learning – ISBN 978-1-4737-0918-8
4. Realigning Teacher Training in the 21st Century.
Editors: MD Magano; SJ Mohapi; D Robinson
5. Intergrating Multicultural Education into the Curriculum for Decolonisation Benefits and Challenges
Editors: Lloyd Daniel Nkoli Tlale; Thabo Makhalemele
Nova science publishers New York
6. The Pedagogy Employed for Correctional Education An Ubuntu and Wellness Perspective and The Pedagogy of Intervening Using Inclusivity in a Special School for Learners with Intellectual Disabilities. (A research-based manuscript from correctional schools and special schools)
Editors: Magano MD, Dreyer Lorna M
Reach publishers: ISBN 978-0-620-86973-