|The specialist research and publication areas of these academic staff members are:|
- Social identity, including Class, Race, Gender, Sexual orientation, Age, Religion, and Intersectionality among these,
- Sociology of work, Labour studies, Organisations,
- Political sociology, Citizenship, Biopolitics, and Social protection,
- Gender, Family, Sexuality, Masculinity, and Health,
- Urban Studies, Development, and Migration Studies,
- Clinical Sociology, Group dynamics, Whistleblowing,
- South African Sociology and Higher education,
- Bourdieu's capitals,
- Research methodology,
- and various of these in combination.
Students of the UJ Department of Sociology hail from all parts of the continent and the world. Since the coherent UJ Sociology coursework programme responds to the range of research and supervision areas listed above, a synergy exists between the teaching and research interests of staff members of the Department of Sociology. The department's programme encourages critical thinking and an analytical approach to social and organizational problems - skills that are highly sought after in the labour market.
Sociology prepares you for a career in a variety of sectors including:
- Social Policy planning and analyses
- Industrial relations officer
- Human resources
- Social research
- Academic Teaching
- Journalism and media related jobs
- NGO and public service
The weekly seminar run by the department for over fifteen years is now hosted in conjunction with the Department of Anthropology and Development Studies. The seminar has hosted numerous acclaimed international and local social scientists. The details of the most recent seminar, as well as an archive of previous programmes, can be found on the seminar pages. For pictures of other memorable events, please visit our events page. More details on academic staff members may be accessed by clicking on their names on the staff page.
UJ Sociology Honours programme is accredited according to the Commission on the Accreditation of Programs in Applied and Clinical Sociology (CAPACS)
Organisation accreditation is with
Honours degrees – Sociology, Industrial Sociology, Urban Studies