We are in the business of decolonising knowledge through African voices in Philosophy, strengthening knowledge systems in both North and South.
- African Philosophy & Indigenous Knowledge Systems
- Decolonising Knowledge & Epistemic Injustice & Oppression
- Philosophy of Science: Medicine & Public Health
- Philosophy of Education & Social Science
- Philosophy of Biology & Philosophy of Race
- 18 Feb 2022: Epistemic Injustice, Reasons and Agency Reading Group & then every 3rd Friday of the month (online 3-5pm)
- 25 Feb, 4 Mar & 25 Mar Research Groups: Epistemic Decolonisation and Epistemic Injustice (EDEI) & Epistemology of the 4th Industrial Revolution (E4IR) – 2:30-4:30pm live @ Piza e Vino
- end Feb 2022: Poet, African intellectual & struggle veteran Prof Mongane Serote’s readings & videos immortalised through an IKS online portal (ACEPS YouTube)
- 16-17 Mar 2022: Epistemic Blame Workshop: Theory and Practice – (hybrid UJ) – with workshop videos
- 23 Mar 2022: UJ ACEPS/Philosophy Colloquium: Covid-19 Vaccine Refusal as Collective Irrationality? by Dr Sebastian Schmidt (Uni Zürich) – (hybrid UJ)
- 29-30 Mar 2022: Epistemic Injustice Conference – Keynote Prof José Medina (hybrid UJ) – with conference videos
- 14 Apr 2022: UJ ACEPS/Philosophy Colloquium: The Memory of Morals by Prof Sven Bernecker (Uni Cologne) – (hybrid UJ)
- Aug 2022: Book launch and workshop: Prof Thad Metz (2021) A Relational Moral Theory: African Ethics in and beyond the Continent (OUP) – (TBA hybrid UJ)
- Aug 2022: Epistemology of the 4IR conference – Keynote Prof Karen Frost-Arnold – (TBA hybrid UJ)
- Aug 2022: Book workshop: Who Should We Be Online? A Social Epistemology for the Internet. by author Prof Karen Frost-Arnold (under contract OUP) – (TBA hybrid UJ)
- Prof Lewis Gordon (Uni Connecticut) is a Visiting Professor specialising in Africana Philosophy.
- Prof Nancy Jecker (Uni Washington) is a Visiting Professor specialising in Bioethics and a Fulbright U.S. Scholar for 2021/22.
- Dr Cameron Boult (Uni Brandon) is Assistant Professor and Chair of Philosophy at Brandon. He is a Visiting Researcher Nov–Dec 2021 and May–July 2022, collaborating with ACEPS on a future grant proposal on epistemic blame and decolonisation.
- Dr Sebastian Schmidt (Uni Zurich) is a Visiting Research Fellow from the Zürich Epistemology Group on Rationality (Zegra) Feb–March 2022.
- Prof Karen Frost-Arnold (Hobart and William Smith Colleges) An Epistemology of the 4IR project funded researcher for a 2 week visit. (Aug 2022)
We regularly host visiting and externally funded Postdoctoral researchers. Please contact ACEPS director Prof Veli Mitova , if you are interested in visiting, giving a talk, sharing research or collaborating on a project. Check out the ACEPS Team and Events pages for the current activities, research groups, reading groups and direction of ACEPS research.