The Department Educational Psychology is involved in the professional preparation of learning support teachers, school counsellors and educational psychologists. The department is housed on two campuses – Auckland Park Kingsway and Soweto. The department is involved in all pre-service qualifications in the Foundation, Intermediate, Senior and FET phases and the PGCE.
Our mission is to advance social justice in diverse community educational settings. This we do through caring, transformative, culturally authentic teaching, learning and research practices.
The aims of the Department are to:
- Educate ethically accountable and socially critical educational psychologists, school counsellors, and education specialists
- Nurture innovative educational communities of enquiry
- Develop practices sensitive to diverse abilities and needs
- Promote preventative education that is sensitive to social and community transformation imperatives
- Promote educational and psychological well-being in diverse communities
- Develop and validate indigenous knowledge through relevant research contributions.
The Department is very active at postgraduate level in the areas of Psychology for Learning, Inclusive Education, Life Orientation, Psychology of Education and Educational Psychology.