About Prof Hassina Mouri
• 2014: Dux Award (GIBS-UP/University of Johannesburg Vice-Chancellor Executive Leadership Development Program Award)
• 2013: Stimulus Chapter Award – International Medical Geology Association.
• 2010: African Union & European Union Joint Prestigious Women in Science Regional Award (Earth and Life Science).
Hassina Mouri has an internationally recognised educational background. She studied and worked in different institutions on three continents (Africa, Europe and America). She is a metamorphic petrologist whose main fields of expertise are the Archaean High to Ultra-High Temperature (UHT) granulites and radiogenic isotope geology (U-Pb and Sm-Nd). Before joining UJ, Dr Mouri has worked at several institutions (University Paris; Museum National d’Histoire Naturel Paris; University of Helsinki; Geological Survey of Finland; Swedish Museum of Natural History; University of Minnesota and University of Pretoria) and in several geological environments (Archaean granulites from the Hoggar Shield, Algeria; Svecofennian Paleoproterozoic migmatites, Finland; British Columbia granulites and migmatites, Canada; EGB granulites, India; Limpopo and the Namaqualand metamorphic belts, South Africa).
Recently, she developed interest in medical geology with a focus on issues related to the African continent. She is currently supervising 3 postgraduate students (2 MSc from Kenya, 1 PhD from South Africa) in this field.
Prof Mouri’s work was presented at several international conferences and published in several international journals. Hassina has been invited to co-organise and chair scientific sessions at a number of International Conferences. In November 2008, she was elected Secretary General of the Geological Society of Africa (2008-2012) and Chair of the organising committee of the 23rd Colloquium of African Geology, organised for the first time in South Africa (University of Johannesburg) in January 2011. In 2012 she was elected Counillor for the International Union of Geological Science (IUGS), then in 2013 Councillor for the International Medical Geology Assocation (IMGA). In 2014, she organised the 1st International Symposium in Medical Geology in Africa (ISMGAf).
- High Grade Metamorphic Geology
- Medical Geology
- Mineralogy: 1st Year (2008 – 2012)
- Metamorphic Petrology: 2nd Year and Honours (2008 – present)
- Field School – 1st Year
- Medical Geology: Honours (2013 – present)
- Member of the Advisory Board of the South African Journal of Science (2015-2017)
Recent Publications (*Postgrad students and postdoctoral fellows)
- Brenda J. Buck, Sandra C. Londono, Brett T. McLaurin, Rodney Metcalf, Hassina Mouri, Olle Selinus, Refilwe Shelembe*, 2016. The emerging field of medical geology in brief: some examples. Environ Earth Science Journal 75: 449 (pages 1-13)
- Sarkar * and Mouri, 2016. Metamorphic evolution of ultramafic rocks of komatiitic composition from the Central Zone of the Limpopo Belt, South Africa. South African Journal of Geology (in press).
- Munyangane*, Mouri and Kramers, 2016. Assessment of some Potential Harmful Trace Elements (PHTEs) in the borehole water of Greater Giyani, Limpopo Province, South Africa: possible implications for human health. Environmental Geochemistry and Health (under review).
- M. Alam*, A.K. Choudhary, H. Mouri & T. Ahmad, 2016. Geochemical characterisation and petrogenesis of mafic granulites from Central Indian Tectonic Zone (CITZ), India. Geological Society of London (under review)
- L.P. Mare*, M.O. de Kock, B. Cairncross, H. Mouri, 2016. Magnetic evaluation of the geothermal variation across the Karoo Basin, South Africa. South African Journal of Geology (in press)
- Maré, L.P*., De Kock, M.O., Cairncross, B., and Mouri, H. (2014). Application of magnetic geothermometers in sedimentary basins: an example from the western Karoo Basin, South Africa. South African Journal of Geology, v. 117(1), p1-14.
- Mishra*, Viljoen, Mouri, 2013. Influence of Mineralogy and Ore Texture on Pentlandite Flotation at the Nkomati Nickel Mine, South Africa. International Journal of Mineral Processing (in press)
- Mouri, H. Maier W and Brandl G., 2013. On the occurrence of komatiite in the Archaean high-grade polymetamorphic Central Zone of the Limpopo belt, South Africa. South African Journal of Geology,, Vol 116.1 page 55-66 doi:10.2113/gssajg.116.1.55
- Theart, R*. Ghavami-Riabi, H. Mouri. 2011. Applying the box plot to the recognition of footwall alteration zones related to VMS deposits in a high-grade metamorphic terrain, South Africa, a lithogechemical exploration application. Chemie der Erde 71, 143–154.
- Kramers J. and Mouri, H. 2011. The geochronology of the Limpopo Complex: a controversy solved. Geological Society of America, Memoir 207 2011, p.85-105.
- Andreoli, M., Brandl, G., Coetzee, H, Kramers, J & Mouri, H. 2011. Intracrustal radioactivity as an important heat source for Neoarchean metamorphism in the Central Zone of the Limpopo Complex. The Geological Society of America, Memoir 207, 2011.p.143-161.
- Van Tonder*, D. and Mouri, H. 2010. Petrology and geochemistry of the granitoid rocks of the Johannesburg Dome, Central Kaapvaal Craton, South Africa. South African Journal of Geology. Volume 113.3 p. 257-286.
- Belyanin*, Rajesh, Van Reneen, Mouri. 2010. Orthopyroxene + corundum ± spinel and orthopyroxene + sillimanite ± quartz intergrowths in an Al-Mg-granulite from the Southern Marginal Zone, Limpopo Belt: Evidence for extreme P-T conditions. 2010/ Am. Mineralogist Vol 95, p.196-1999 .
- Mouri, Whitehouse, Brandl, Rajesh. 2009. A magmatic age and four successive metamorphic events recorded in zircons from a single meta-anorthosite sample in the Central Zone of the Limpopo belt, South Africa. Journal of the Geological Society of London, 166, p. 827–830.
- Rigby*, Mouri and Brandl. 2008. P-T conditions and the origin of quartzo-feldspathic veins in metasyenites from the Central Zone of the Limpopo Belt. South African Journal of Geology, 111, p.313-332.
- Mouri, Brandl, Whitehouse, de Waal and Guiraud. 2008. CL-imaging and ion microprobe dating of single zircons from a high-grade rock from the Central Zone, Limpopo Belt, South Africa: Evidence for a single metamorphic event at ~2.0 Ga. Journal of African Earth Sciences, 50, p. 111-119.
- Rigby*, Mouri and Brandl. 2008. A review of the P-T evolution of the Limpopo Belt: Constraints for a tectonic model. Journal of African Earth Sciences, 50, p.120-132.
Participation at International Conferences (recent)
- International Congress of Geology (IGC35)/Cape Town, 27.08-03.09, 2016 (keynote speaker).
- The 3rd International Symposium on Environment and Health, Ireland, 14-20/08/2016 (invited)
- International Conference on Medical Geology Portugal, July 2015
- International Mineralogy Association Meeting, Aug 2014, SA
- International Conference on Medical Geology, USA, August 2013
- International Geological Congress (IGC 34), Brisbane, Australia (invited).
- IGCP field conference, Sept 2012, Ukraine (Invited)
Conferences/Scientific Sessions Organised
- 23rd Colloquium of African Geology, 8–14 January 2011, University of Johannesburg, South Africa
- 1st International Symposium on Medical Geology in Africa (ISMGAf), March 2014, University of Johannesburg, South Africa
- Scientific Session – IGC 35 – South Africa 2016. Conveners: H. Mouri, O. Selinus, B. Finkelman and J. Centeno.
- Scientific Session – EGU 2018: Medical Geology: an interdisciplinary field of science for the benefit of the society. Convener: Hassina Mouri, Co-Conveners: Brenda Buck, Olle Selinus, Carla Candeias and Prosun Bhattacharya
- 2nd International Symposium on Medical Geology in Africa, 5–7 November 2018, University of Johannesburg, South Africa
Public Lectures/Seminars (recent)
- Institute of Geochemistry, Chinese Academy of Science, Guiyang, China (invited). Jan 2016
- Origins Center, University of Witwatersrand. March 2014 (invited)
- Faculty of Science and Health Science, University of Kashmir, India (invited). Feb 2014
- Geology Department, University of Kashmir, India (invited). Feb 2014
- University of Johannesburg. Sept 2013
- UJ Magazine
- Geologist forges New Speciality in SA
- igc35-medical geology
- Profile Article “rock Stars”, Geo-bulletin – The Geological Society of SA (03/2015)
- Profile Article, University of Johannesburg (in celebration of women in science) (08/2014)
- Profile Article in Beeld (SA Newspaper) (10/2013)