About Dr S Huneberg
Dr Samantha Huneberg is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Mercantile Law in the Law Faculty at the University of Johannesburg. She teaches on the undergraduate level as well as the module on Insurance Law to the LLM students. Samantha obtained her BCom Law, LL.B, LLM and LLD degrees at the University of Johannesburg.
Dr. Huneberg conducts research in the area of insurance law and more recently, specialising in new technologies in the insurance industry. She has published numerous peer-reviewed articles in accredited law journals in this field and has a keen interest in how new technologies may influence the insurance industry.
June 2022 : African News Agency
Dr’s van Eck and Huneberg, titled, “Massive Reform Needed To Protect Our Personal Information”
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- “Cecil Sher and Another v Vermaak (AR 197/13)  ZAKZPHC 8 (25 February 2014) Ensuring consistency in the law of defamation” – Samantha Huneberg & Raashi Chauhan De Jure 2016 Volume 2 335-345.
- “On Drones, new risks and insurance” – Samantha Huneberg Tydskrif vir Hedendaagse Romeins-Hollandse Reg / Journal for Contemporary Roman-Dutch Law 2017 586.
- “Preventative Measures of Insurers against Insurance Fraud with particular regard to Motor Insurance” – Samantha Huneberg Obiter Vol 38 1 2017.
- “Rise of the Drone: Privacy Concerns” – Samantha Huneberg Tydskrif vir Hedendaagse Romeins-Hollandse Reg / Journal for Contemporary Roman-Dutch Law Vol 81 (2) ISSN 1682-4490 (2018) 263-280.
- “English Insurance Law Reforms: Lessons for South Africa?” – Samantha Huneberg Obiter Vol 1 2019.
- “Insurance Fraud and Forfeiture Clauses: reaching a middle ground?” – Samantha Huneberg (2019) 82.1 THRHR 102.
- “Consumer Protection Measures in Non-Life Insurance Contracts: A South African and Australasian trend?” Obiter 2019 Volume 40 3.
- The Future of Robo-Advisors in the South African Insurance Industry: Is the South African Regulatory Framework Ready? SA Mercantile Law Journal 2020
- “Promoting Financial Inclusion in the South African Insurance Industry: Is Insurtech the Missing Link?” THRHR 2022 February.
- “Big Data and the Paradigmatic Shift from Passive Insurer towards Risk Personalisation” – Samantha Huneberg and Kristen Berry TSAR 2022 Vol 2 283.
“What Can the Insurance Distribution Directive “Offer” the South African Microinsurance Model?” published in a book with AIDA “Insurance Distribution Directive. A Legal Analysis” (ISBN 978-3-030-52737-2), Springer 2020.
“Utmost good faith is dead, long live utmost good faith? a historical overview of good faith in (marine) insurance in England and South Africa” Millard and Huneberg 2020 in “African Perspectives on Selected Marine, Maritime and International Trade Law Topics” (Vrancken P & Hugo C (Eds)).
“Drones: The New Delivery Men? A South African and UK perspective” Huneberg 2022 in “Research Handbook on Transportation Technology” Springer (Noussia, K & Channon, M (Eds)).