Head of Department
Name: Nazreen Dasoo
Location: B Ring 406 Auckland Park Kingsway Campus
DECS Staff, Department of Education and Curriculum Studies, Faculty of Education Staff Members
Tel: 011 559 2045
About Dr Nazreen Dasoo
Dr Nazreen Dasoo is a senior lecturer in the Faculty of Education at the University of Johannesburg. She lectures in the area of Accounting education, Assessment for learning, Teacher education and Values education. The masters and doctoral students she supervises investigate areas relating to teacher professional development, values education and accounting education. She has delivered numerous Keynote addresses at both national and international conferences. Dr Dasoo also holds a UNESCO/UNITWIN Chair in Values Education. Publications Daniels, D and Dasoo, N. 2012.Muslim women academics in South African Higher Education: reflections from the field. Springer. Dordrecht. Dasoo, N. “Technology in the Classroom: Using Computers to teach Accounting.” Education as Change. 1998. Vol.2.No.2, pp.72-77. Dasoo, N, Fridman, B and Basson, R. “Computer assisted instruction and academic achievement in Accounting at South African high schools.” Education as Change, 2003. Vol.7, No.1, pp. 21-33. Dasoo, N. 2008. The thread that binds. Values Education in South Africa. Keynote address National Values Education Forum, Canberra, Australia. Dasoo, N. 2010. Nurturing teacher wellbeing through Values Education. In Lovat, T, Toomey, R and Clement, N (Eds.). International Research Handbook on Values Education and Student Wellbeing (pp. 359-375). New York: Springer. Dasoo, N. 2010. South African teachers’ experience of values and values education. Unpublished Thesis. University of Johannesburg. Dasoo, N. 2021. Global Citizenship education and Values education, two sides of the same coin. Keynote address Global Citizenship Education in Eastern Africa Webinar. Comores, Djibouti, Kenya, Madagascar, Mauritius, Seychelles. Dasoo, N and Henning, E. 2012. South African teachers’ initiation into Values Education: Following the Script. Education as Change. 2012. Vol. 16(1) pp.129-142. Taylor and Francis. Dasoo, N and Van der Merwe-Muller, L. 2020. Teacher advocacy for the enhancement of professional learning and development in continuous professional development programmes. South African Journal of Higher Education, 34 (4), 45-59. Dasoo, N and Van Der Merwe-Muller, L. 2022. Towards a socially just continuous professional development model for teachers as adult learners. Groener, Z and Lane, S (Eds). In Adult Education and Learning Perspectives: Access, barriers to participation and success under crises in South Africa. In Print. Robertson, D, N., & Dasoo, N. 2018, September. Mobile learning and its influence on the tutoring process. Paper presented at the 8th Annual International Conference on Education and e-learning Singapore. Robertson, DN and Dasoo, N. 2019. The mobile learning conscious tutor: Incorporating Facebook in tutorials. Journal of Education (UKZN). 76, 143-165. Roux, CJ and Dasoo, N. 2020. Pre-service teachers’ perception of values education in the South African physical education curriculum. South African Journal of Childhood Education 10 (1), 1-8. Dasoo, N, Bornman, M and Rhodes, R. 2020. Impacting accounting education using integrated information and communication technologies. Journal of Economic and Financial Sciences 13 (1), 9. Van Der Merwe-Muller, L and Dasoo, N. 2021. South African Teachers’ Experiences of Continuous Professional Teacher Development: Connections and Disconnections. South African Journal of Education. 41(4): Art. #1919. https://doi.org/10.15700/saje.v41n4a1919 Achievements of Note and Public Appearances
- Student of the Year, B.Ed (hons) RAU – 1996
- Appeared on SABC 3 on Ceasar Molebatsi’s Talk Show, “Two Way” 2001 to discuss issues around Assessment.
- Selected for the RCI SANPAD programme 2005-2006, Best student in the programme for that year.
- Invited by the Australian Government to deliver a Keynote address at the National Forum on Values Education in Canberra -2008.
- All learning material developed by me, for the ACE in Values and Human Rights in Education, was translated into Spanish and is currently being used at the Universidad Mayor, Chile.
- Hosted The Pro Vice Chancellor of New Castle University, Australia in 2010. Prof T Lovat presented a Public Lecture on “The New Values Education, A Pedagogical imperative for student wellbeing.”
- Invited to present a Keynote address in Paris for UNESCO on Values in Sports Education -2015
- Invited to present a Keynote address at a webinar hosted by UNESCO KENYA on Global Citizenship and Values Education. 2021
- Invited to give commentary on EWN on the Matric exam leak 2020.
- Provided an opinion piece for NEWS 24 on Matric exam leak 2020.
- Appeared on Radio Islam Breakfast show on Matric exam leak 2020.