Library Research Lab for students with disabilities
The specially equipped research labs for students with disabilities is available in all UJ campus libraries to support students based on their specialised needs. The Librarian and tutors are available to provide and support PwD students with finding library resources
|APK Library||2nd Floor(Learning commons section)|
Information Desk Tel: 011 559 2171
|APB Library||1st Floor Entrance Level|
Theresa Vukeya Tel: 011 559 1381
|DFC Library||1st Floor Entrance Level|
Dorcas Rathaba Tel: 011 559 6325
|SWC Library||Ground Floor in the Learning Commons|
Richardson Mzaidume Tel: 011 559 5082
PwD Office contact: Eric Mhlanga: Tel: 011 559 3398
- The research lab is designed to support students with disabilities.
- Students can access the computer lab with their student cards.
- Students who cannot swipe their cards will first have to complete a form at the Disability Unit.
The software programmes installed in the research lab are:
- ZoomText: A screen magnifier for Microsoft Windows which can help individuals with visual impairments and is capable of magnifying the screen up to 36 times. It also allows you to choose which part of the screen is magnified.
- JAWS: A computer screen reader program for Microsoft Windows that allows blind and visually impaired users to read the screen with a text-to-speech output.
- ClaroRead: A highly effective software solution for supporting reading and writing. It can read any screen text out loud and is perfectly integrated with Microsoft Word.
In addition, there are new devices such as:
- Merlin Magnifier: The machine is used to enlarge on screen printed documents such as textbooks; it also allows the user to change the colour contrast to best improve visibility.
- Eye-Pal reader: It is a book reader, where the user place a document with text on it and the text is then read out loud. The information on the document can also be saved either as an audio or text file for later reading.
- The hearing loop system: The system is mainly for people with hearing loss. It omits all unwanted sounds for better hearing.