Philosophy Doctorate Programme
Our PhD Programme
To be admitted to this programme, students must fulfill the department’s admission requirements and prove adequate knowledge of research methodology and the history of philosophy. Supplementary oral examinations might be required.
A thesis is completed on a topic chosen in consultation with the department and written under supervision. A doctoral defence (viva voce) of the thesis is required in accordance with the general regulations of the Faculty of Humanities.
ADMISSION TO DOCTORATE (SOUTH AFRICAN STUDENTS)
Departmental Admission Requirements for Doctoral Degrees
You must have scored an average of at least 65% for a Master’s degree in Philosophy
- A covering letter including a statement of purpose of no more than 500 words. A statement of purpose usually includes, but is not restricted to the following: reasons why you want to complete this degree, impediments to your study, work commitments, etc.
- A brief research proposal [1,500 words]
- An example of written work for the Master’s degree, preferably the whole thesis.
- The details of the supervisor and co-supervisor [if there was one] for the Master’s thesis.
Candidates might also be required to complete:
- An essay writing exercise based on prescribed texts.
- An interview
Applications For 2023 Doctoral Study In Philosophy at UJ
DEADLINE: 30 October 2022
If you have any questions prior to submitting your application, contact the Postgraduate Admissions Co-ordinator, Prof Catherine Botha email@example.com, or the academic member of staff whose areas of expertise in which you are interested.
THE APPLICANT COMPLETES AND SUBMITS THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS TO THE STUDENT ENROLMENT CENTRE ONLINE
(All documents must be certified copies, with the exception of the academic record and certificate of conduct)
- Academic record and (certificate of conduct if registered at another higher education institution) (original),
- Matriculation exemption certificate (only students who did not study at UJ)
- Previous degree/certificate, (only students who did not study at UJ)
- an UJ application form (only students who did not study at UJ)
- Departmental contact details form
THESE FORMS SHOULD BE EMAILED TO THE POSTGRADUATE ADMISSIONS CO-ORDINATOR Prof Catherine Botha : firstname.lastname@example.org, BEFORE THE SUBMISSION DEADLINE
ADMISSION TO DOCTORATE (INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS)
Candidates who do not have permanent residence in South Africa or who are not South African citizens need to consult the International Office for specific prerequisites with regard to legal requirements and other relevant information. This includes matters such as study permits, medical cover and English language proficiency requirements. The international office will, where applicable, refer candidates to SAQA for validation of qualifications, as well as for English language proficiency testing. The International Office also provides information about the application procedure.
International office: +27 (0)11 559 2018
Please contact either Prof Catherine Botha : email@example.com, the Postgraduate admissions co-ordinator, or Prof Ben Smart: firstname.lastname@example.org, the Postgraduate teaching co-ordinator, to help with any queries.