Work opportunities for Emergency Medical Care practitioners exist in:
- Provincial and local authority emergency services
- Private emergency services and hospital groups
- South African National Defence Force
- Remote site services such as offshore oil rigs and the mining industry
- Civil defence agencies
- Emergency Medical Services abroad
- Universities and colleges offering emergency care education and training
Core components for the degree programme are human anatomy and physiology, general pathology, pharmacology, diagnostics, emergency medical care and rescue.
A qualified Emergency Care Practitioner is able to render emergency medical care to ill and injured patients in a variety of environments. In addition, the Practitioner is also trained to take command of major incidents, provide clinical governance, manage emergency services and play a role in education and training of emergency service personnel.