Mission, Vision and Values
An international University of choice, anchored in Africa, dynamically shaping the future.
Inspiring its community to transform and serve humanity through innovation and the collaborative pursuit of knowledge.
We encourage and inspire free, independent and critical thought aimed at developing a better future for UJ and society by:
- Shaping the future by encouraging an imagination-driven vision of the future;
- Developing a cosmopolitan identity and a culture that embrace diversity;
- Exhibiting ambition and drive;
- Creating an environment conducive to free, independent and critical thought that inspires ‘bright ideas’ for the enhancement of our academic and community uplifting endeavours.
|Through facilitating open, respectful and meaningful dialogue, we encourage an inclusive environment that embraces diversity by:
- Leading consultatively and constructively and making wise decisions collectively;
- Learning together from and through our diversity;
- Providing platforms and opportunities for meaningful engagement with one another and our stakeholders through mutual respect and listening;
- Creating an inclusive environment and nurturing the diversity of cultural expression through processes of mutual interaction, support and empowerment.
|We are dynamic, progressive, responsive and innovative in our endeavour to provide access to global academic excellence and to promote the common good in a sustainable way by:
- Developing sustainably through creative contribution and renewal;
- Making positive change through innovating for the common good;
- Taking advantage of opportunities;
- Providing access to students to excellent educational opportunities across a wide range of fields and disciplines and at various levels;
- Constantly working to enhance the quality of our programmes and services;
- Providing a rich extra-curricular environment for students;
- Pushing boundaries, overcoming barriers with courage and surpassing expectations.
|We nurture and actively promote an ethos of honesty, transparency, accountability and fairness in all our endeavours by:
- Treasuring academic freedom;
- Seeking balance in the pursuit of knowledge;
- Earning trust through credible and principled conduct;
- Acting responsibly by being fair, consistent and transparent;
- Participating in and developing the community;
- Being truthful and trustworthy at all times;
- Conducting our business ethically, in good faith and to the best of our ability;
- Honouring our commitments;
- Honouring information that is private and confidential;
- Client Advocacy – we serve our clients with distinction.
*Ubuntu is the capacity to express compassion, justice, reciprocity, dignity, harmony and humanity in the interests of building, maintaining and strengthening the community. Ubuntu speaks to our inter-connectedness, our common humanity and the responsibility to each that flows from our connection.