About Dr. Varoshini Nadesan
Field of Research:
- Social Work Education
- Child and Youth Care Work
- Alcohol and Substance Dependency
Contact details: C Ring 620 Kingsway campus firstname.lastname@example.org Qualifications: D Litt et Phil (University of Johannesburg) 2019 MCYC (UNISA) 2009 BA(Social Work) (University of Durban-Westville) 1986 Project Management (Executive Education) 2006 Professional Registrations: South African Council for Social Service Professions (www.sacssp.co.za) South African Medicines Addictions Society (SAAMS) National Association of Child Care Workers (www.naccw.org.za ) Publication affiliations:
- ORCID id: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5786-529X
- Linked-in profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/varoshini-nadesan
- Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=vQddWp8AAAAJ&hl=en
- Scopus Profile: https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=57204188739
- Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/Varoshini_Nadesan/
- Academia.edu: https://johannesburg.academia.edu/VaroshiniNadesan
- President: Association of South African Social Work Education Institutions (2019-)- www.asaswei.org.za
- UJ Wellness Committee (2012-)
- UJ Humanities HR & Finance Committee (2019-)
- AA South Africa Board Member (2012- )
- AA World Services Delegate (2020-)
- Ministerial Appointment: Department of Social Development Disaster Relief Fund Board (2015-2018)
- MEC Appointment: Department of Economic Affairs: West Rand Committee (2017-2019)
- COGTA-NDMC Bursary Adjudication Committee
- Serves on SACSSP Committees for:
- SACSSP Continuing Professional Development
- SACSSP International Applications
- SACSSP Assessment of Portfolios of Evidence for Child & Youth Care and for Probation Services
- International Judge: Global Undergraduate Awards: Social Sciences (2018-)
- International Association of Schools of Social Work Consultant: Global Standards for Social Work Education (2020)
- Nadesan, V. 2005. The impact of organisational culture in child and youth care agencies. Child and Youth Care, 23,5, May 2005, pp 16-17; republished in CYC-ONLINE-The International Child and Youth Care Network- Issue 106 November 2007.
- Nadesan, V. 2006. Daily events as a focus of intervention with children and youth. In Aspects of Child and youth Care Practice in the South African Context – Garfat, T and Gannon, B (eds).
- Nadesan, V S. 2009. A child and youth care perspective of restorative practices- a qualitative study. University of South Africa, 2009.
- Nadesan, V. July 2012. Academic writing for first year students. University of Johannesburg (Departmental)
- Nadesan, V. July 2012- Social work dictionary and handbook for students. University of Johannesburg (Departmental)
- Nurcombe-Thorne, A., Nadesan, V. S., & Van Breda, A. D. (2018). Experiences of ‘I’ and ‘We’ among former looked-after children in South Africa. Child and Family Social Work, 23(4), 640-648. https://doi:10.1111/cfs.12456.
- Nadesan, V.S. (2020). The dilemmas and challenges experienced by students in semi-rural placements in South Africa. Southern African Journal of Social Work and Social Development. https://doi.org/10.25159/2708-9355/6509
- Nadesan, V. (2020). Social Work Supervision in a Developing Country: Experiences of Students. The Indian Journal of Social Work, 81(3), 263-282. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/345785262_Social_Work_Supervision_in_a_Developing_Country_Experiences_of_Students#:~:text=DOI%3A%2010.32444/IJSW.2020.81.3.263%2D282
- Nadesan, V. (2021). Islam, T., & Fulcher, L. (Eds.) (2021). Residential Child and Youth Care in a Developing World: Volume 4 – Africa Perspectives. Book review: Southern African Journal for Social Work and Social Development.
- Baikady, R. and Nadesan, V, Gao, J. (2022). Teaching Social Problems in the Social Work Curriculum: Perspectives from India and China, Social Work& Society
Books Edited :
- The Routledge International Handbook of Field Work Education in Social Work. Rajendra Baikady, Sajid S.M, Varoshini Nadesan and M. Rezaul Islam (Eds) Routledge London, New York and New Delhi. The Routledge Handbook of Field Work Educationin Social Work
- The Routledge International Handbook of Social Work Field Education in Global South. Rajendra Baikady, Varoshini Nadesan, Sajid S.M and M. Rezaul Islam(Eds) Routledge London, New York and New Delhi (in progress)
- The Routledge International Handbook of Poverty in the Global South. Rajendra Baikady, Johan Gal, Sajid S.M, Varoshini Nadesan and Gao Jianguo (Eds) Routledge London, New York and New Delhi. Link: The Routledge Handbook of Social Work Field Education in the Global South
- The Palgrave Handbook of Global Social Problems. Rajendra Baikady, Sajid S.M, Jaroslaw Przeperski; Varoshini Nadesan, M. Rezaul Islam and Gao Jianguo (Eds) Palgrave Macmillan, United Kingdom. Link: Palgrave Handbook of Global Social Problems
- Forthcoming Journal Special Issue: Teaching Social Work in a multi-cultural perspective- Challenges, Issues and Concerns (2021) Rajendra Baikady, Varoshini Nadesan and Gao Jianguo (Guest Eds), SN Social Sciences, Springer Nature (in progress)
- Co-editor. Association of South African Social Work Education Institutions Conference Proceedings: Pandemics, inequality and poverty: Taking Social Work into the 21 st century
- Advisory Board: Springer Series in International Social Work, and Springer Briefs in International Social Work. Springer Series & Briefs in International Social Work.
Nadesan, V. (2020). Challenges of Social Work Students from Historically Disadvantaged Universities during Placements in Semi-Rural Areas in South Africa. SAJSWSD. https://doi.org/10.25159/2708-9355/6509 Interview Publications: Rose, S.J (2022): Issues of Alcohol Misuse and treatment in Multicultural South Africa: An Interview with Varoshini Nadesan, PhD, Journal of Social Work Practice in the Addictions, DOI: 10.1080/1533256X.2022.2051899 Non-accredited publications: Nadesan-Article 1-Alcoholism-A bitter-sweet blame-The Post 26 January 2015 Nadesan-Article 2-Do more for women’s month-The Post-19 Aug 2015 Nadesan-Article 3-You too dear students will be old-The Post 7 October 2015 Nadesan-Article 4-Educating students-Tribute to Profs Sewpaul & Lombard-The Post 24 Aug 2016 Nadesan-Article 5-Cater for paying listeners Hlaudi-An open letter to the SABC-The Post 7 Sept 2016 Nadesan-Article 6-Non-violence against humanity-Have you had the talk as yet? The post-16 Nov 2016 Nadesan-Article 7-Giving victims of violence and discrimination a voice-The Post -30 Nov 2016 Nadesan-Article 8-South Africa is fast becoming a welfare state-The Post 22 March 2017 Nadesan & Rasool-Article 9-Put an end to abuse today-The Post 31 May 2017 Nadesan-Article 10-Vimla Nadkarni-Be fearless and forthright,rule the world-The Post-24 August 2017 Nadesan-Article 11-Do’s and dont’s in life’s journey-The Post Feb 2018 Nadesan-Article 12-You dont have to accept poor service-The Post Feb 2018