About Dr. Varoshini Nadesan
Field of Research:
- Social Work Education
- Child and Youth Care Work
- Alcohol and Substance Dependency
C Ring 620
D Litt et Phil (University of Johannesburg) 2019
MCYC (UNISA) 2009
BA(Social Work) (University of Durban-Westville) 1986
Project Management (Executive Education) 2006
South African Council for Social Service Professions (www.sacssp.co.za)
South African Medicines Addictions Society (SAAMS)
National Association of Child Care Workers (www.naccw.org.za )
- ORCID id: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5786-529X
- Linked-in profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/varoshini-nadesan
- Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=vQddWp8AAAAJ&hl=en
- Scopus Profile: https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=57204188739
- Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/Varoshini_Nadesan/
- Academia.edu: https://johannesburg.academia.edu/VaroshiniNadesan
- President: Association of South African Social Work Education Institutions (2019-)- www.asaswei.org.za
- UJ Wellness Committee (2012-)
- UJ Humanities HR & Finance Committee (2019-)
- AA South Africa Board Member (2012- )
- AA World Services Delegate (2020-)
- Ministerial Appointment: Department of Social Development Disaster Relief Fund Board (2015-2018)
- MEC Appointment: Department of Economic Affairs: West Rand Committee (2017-2019)
- COGTA-NDMC Bursary Adjudication Committee
- Serves on SACSSP Committees for:
- SACSSP Continuing Professional Development
- SACSSP International Applications
- SACSSP Assessment of Portfolios of Evidence for Child & Youth Care and for Probation Services
- International Judge: Global Undergraduate Awards: Social Sciences (2018-)
- International Association of Schools of Social Work Consultant: Global Standards for Social Work Education (2020)
- Nadesan, V. 2005. The impact of organisational culture in child and youth care agencies.
Child and Youth Care, 23,5, May 2005, pp 16-17; republished in CYC-ONLINE-The
International Child and Youth Care Network- Issue 106 November 2007.
- Nadesan, V. 2006. Daily events as a focus of intervention with children and youth. In Aspects
of Child and youth Care Practice in the South African Context – Garfat, T and Gannon, B (eds).
- Nadesan, V S. 2009. A child and youth care perspective of restorative practices- a qualitative
study. University of South Africa, 2009.
- Nadesan, V. July 2012. Academic writing for first year students. University of Johannesburg
- Nadesan, V. July 2012- Social work dictionary and handbook for students. University of
- Nurcombe-Thorne, A., Nadesan, V. S., & Van Breda, A. D. (2018). Experiences of ‘I’ and ‘We’
among former looked-after children in South Africa. Child and Family Social Work, 23(4),
- Nadesan, V.S. (2020). The dilemmas and challenges experienced by students in semi-rural
placements in South Africa. Southern African Journal of Social Work and Social Development.
- Nadesan, V. (2020). Social Work Supervision in a Developing Country: Experiences of
Students. The Indian Journal of Social Work, 81(3), 263-282.
- Nadesan, V. (2021). Islam, T., & Fulcher, L. (Eds.) (2021). Residential Child and Youth
Care in a Developing World: Volume 4 – Africa Perspectives. Book review: Southern African
Journal for Social Work and Social Development.
- Baikady, R. and Nadesan, V, Gao, J. (2022). Teaching Social Problems in the Social Work
Curriculum: Perspectives from India and China, Social Work& Society
Books Edited :
- The Routledge International Handbook of Field Work Education in Social Work.
Rajendra Baikady, Sajid S.M, Varoshini Nadesan and M. Rezaul Islam (Eds) Routledge London, New York and New Delhi. The Routledge Handbook of Field Work Educationin Social Work
- The Routledge International Handbook of Social Work Field Education in Global South. Rajendra Baikady, Varoshini Nadesan, Sajid S.M and M. Rezaul Islam(Eds) Routledge London, New York and New Delhi (in progress)
- The Routledge International Handbook of Poverty in the Global South. Rajendra Baikady, Johan Gal, Sajid S.M, Varoshini Nadesan and Gao Jianguo (Eds) Routledge London, New York and New Delhi. Link: The Routledge Handbook of Social Work Field Education in the Global South
- The Palgrave Handbook of Global Social Problems. Rajendra Baikady, Sajid S.M, Jaroslaw Przeperski; Varoshini Nadesan, M. Rezaul Islam and Gao Jianguo (Eds) Palgrave Macmillan, United Kingdom. Link: Palgrave Handbook of Global Social Problems
- Forthcoming Journal Special Issue: Teaching Social Work in a multi-cultural perspective- Challenges, Issues and Concerns (2021) Rajendra Baikady, Varoshini Nadesan and Gao Jianguo (Guest Eds), SN Social Sciences, Springer Nature (in progress)
- Co-editor. Association of South African Social Work Education Institutions Conference Proceedings: Pandemics, inequality and poverty: Taking Social Work into the 21 st century
- Advisory Board: Springer Series in International Social Work, and Springer Briefs in International Social Work. Springer Series & Briefs in International Social Work.
Nadesan, V. (2020). Challenges of Social Work Students from Historically Disadvantaged Universities during Placements in Semi-Rural Areas in South Africa. SAJSWSD. https://doi.org/10.25159/2708-9355/6509
Rose, S.J (2022): Issues of Alcohol Misuse and treatment in Multicultural South Africa: An Interview with Varoshini Nadesan, PhD, Journal of Social Work Practice in the Addictions, DOI: 10.1080/1533256X.2022.2051899