About Dr Trishya Owen-Smith
Trishya Owen-Smith is an igneous petrologist and geochemist. She completed her PhD at the University of the Witwatersrand in 2014, and subsequently worked as a post-doctoral researcher at the GeoForschungsZentrum (GFZ) in Potsdam, Germany. She joined the Department of Geology at UJ in 2016.
Her previous research has centred on examining the magmatic products of Large Igneous Provinces—in the case of the Deccan Traps, alkaline intrusive magmatism in the Seychelles; in the Paraná-Etendeka Province, dyke swarms, intrusions and flood basalts in Namibia—to interpret their emplacement and evolution, as well as implications for mantle dynamics and continental break-up. Her more recent focus is on the petrogenesis of massif-type anorthosite complexes—specifically the Kunene Complex of Angola/Namibia—and the insights they give into Proterozoic crust-forming processes.
Mantle geochemistry and dynamics; magma differentiation and emplacement processes; early Earth evolution and tectonics; palaeoclimate and mass extinction events; planetary geology/cosmochemistry
- Optical Mineralogy (1st year)
- Stable Isotopes in Mineralogy & the Environment (Honours)
- Hayes, B., Lehmann, J., Bybee, G.M., Owen-Smith, T.M (2022). Crystal transfer from magma to wallrock during syntectonic granite emplacement. Journal of the Geological Society. http://dx.doi.org/10.1144/jgs2020-125
- Owen-Smith, T.M., Trumbull, R.B., Bauer, K., Keiding, J.K. & Will, T.M. (2021). A neural network application to assess magma diversity in the Etendeka igneous province, Namibia. South African Journal of Geology, 124(2), 481-498. https://doi.org/10.25131/sajg.124.0034
- Lehmann, J., Bybee, G.M., Hayes, B., Owen-Smith, T.M. & Belyanin, G. (2020). Emplacement of the giant Kunene AMCG complex into a contractional ductile shear zone and implications for the Mesoproterozoic tectonic evolution of SW Angola. International Journal of Earth Sciences, 109, 1463–1485. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00531-020-01837-5
- Bybee, G.M., Hayes, B., Owen-Smith, T.M., Lehmann, J., Ashwal, L.D., Brower, A.M, Hill, C.M., Corfu, F. Manga, M. (2019). Proterozoic massif-type anorthosites as the archetypes of long-lived (≥100 Myr) magmatic systems—New evidence from the Kunene Anorthosite Complex (Angola). Precambrian Research, 332, 105393. doi:10.1016/j.precamres.2019.105393
- Owen-Smith, T.M., Ganerød, M., van Hinsbergen, D.J.J., Gaina, C., Ashwal, L.D. & Torsvik, T.H. (2019). Testing Early Cretaceous Africa–South America fits with new palaeomagnetic data from the Etendeka Magmatic Province (Namibia). Tectonophysics, 760, 23-35. doi:10.1016/j.tecto.2017.11.010
- Owen-Smith, T.M., Ashwal, L.D., Sudo, M. & Trumbull, R.B. (2017). Age and petrogenesis of the Doros Complex, Namibia, and implications for early plume-derived melts in the Paraná-Etendeka LIP. Journal of Petrology, 58(3), 423-442. doi:10.1093/petrology/egx021
- Owen-Smith, T.M. & Ashwal, L.D. (2015). Evidence for multiple pulses of crystal-bearing magma during emplacement of the Doros layered intrusion, Namibia. Lithos, 238, 120–139. doi:10.1016/j.lithos.2015.08.019
- Owen-Smith, T.M. & Ashwal, L.D. (2015). Geology of the early Cretaceous Doros layered mafic intrusion, Namibia: Complexity on a small scale. South African Journal of Geology, 118(2), 185–211. doi:10.2113/gssajg.118.2.185
- Owen-Smith, T.M., Ashwal, L.D., Torsvik, T.H., Ganerød, M., Nebel, O., Webb S.J. & Werner S.C. (2013). Seychelles alkaline suite records the culmination of Deccan Traps continental flood volcanism. Lithos, 182–183, 33–47. doi:10.1016/j.lithos.2013.09.011