About Dr Clarisa Vorster
Dr. Clarisa Vorster has a PhD (Geology) and an MSc (Chemistry) from the University of Johannesburg. She was appointed as a lecturer in 2013 upon completion of her PhD. She is a geochronologist specializing in detrital zircon age determinations and provenance determination of sedimentary units. Her PhD research project focused on the U-Pb age determination of detrital zircon populations in the Phanerozoic Cape and Lower Karoo Supergroups by means of Laser Ablations ICP-MS. Some of the study areas for this project included the Western and Southern Cape, Kwazulu Natal, Southern Argentina and the Falkland Islands. Together with her postgraduate students, her research is currently focused on the U-Pb age determination and provenance of detrital zircons from the smaller basins of the Karoo Supergroup.
Dr. Vorster is also responsible for maintaining the zircon sample preparation and Laser Ablation ICP-MS laboratories at SPECTRUM (the central analytical facility at UJ), where she is actively involved in training students and technical assistants in zircon sample preparation and LA-ICP-MS analysis of samples.
U-Pb age determination and provenance of detrital zircons of the Upper Karoo Supergroup and smaller Karoo basins.
Sedimentology and Stratigraphy
Applied and Environmental Mineralogy
Introduction to Geological Field Methods First Year Field School
- Barbolini, N., Nxumalo, V., Wagner, N., Kramers, J., Vorster, C., Cairncross, B., Bamford, M.K., (2019) Palynostratigraphic correlation of the Springbok Flats coalfield to other coal-bearing successions in the Karoo basins of southern Africa. South African Journal of Geology. doi:10.25131/sajg.122.0001
- Beukes, N.J., De Kock, M.O., Vorster, C., Ravhura, L.G., Frei, D., Gumsley, A.P., Harris, C. (2019) The age and country rock provenance of the Molopo Farms Complex: implications for Transvaal Supergroup correlation in southern Africa. South African Journal of Geology, doi:10.25131/sajg.122.0003
- Rajesh, H.M., Belyanin, G.A., Safonov, O.G., Vorster, C., Van Reenen, D.D. (2018). Garnet-bearing low-Sr and high-Sr Singelele leucogranite: A record of Neoarchean episodic melting in collisional setting and Paleoproterozoic coverprint in the Beit Bridge complex, southern Africa. Lithos, 322, 67-86. doi:10.1016/j.lithos.2018.10.004
- Vorster, C., Kramers, J.D., Beukes, N.J. and Van Niekerk, H.S.(2016) Detrital zircon U-Pb age determination and provenance of the Paleozoic Natal Group and Msikaba Formation, Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa. Geological Magazine, 153, 460-486. doi:10.1017/S0016756815000370
- Wohlgemuth-Ueberwasser, C., Viljoen, F., Petersen, S and Vorster, C. (2015) Distribution and solubility limits of trace elements in hydrothermal black smoker sulfides: An in-situ LA-ICP-MS study. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 159, 16–41. doi:10.1016/j.gca.2015.03.020
- Belyanin, G., Kramers, J.D., Vorster, C., Knoper, M.W. (2014) The timing of successive fluid events in the Southern Marginal Zone ofthe Limpopo Complex, South Africa: Constraints from 40Ar–39Ar Geochronology. Precambrian Research, 254, 169-193. doi:10.1016/j.precamres.2014.08.014
- Vorster, C., Kramers, J., Beukes, N., Van Niekerk, H., (2012) Detrital zircon age populations and provenance of the Cape-Karoo succession in South Africa and correlatives in Argentina. Goldschmidt 2012 Conference Abstracts, Mineralogical Magazine, 2501. doi:10.1017/S0016756815000370
- Vorster, C., Greeff, L., Coetzee, P.P., (2010): The determination of 11B/10B and 87Sr/86Sr isotope ratios by Quadrupole-Based ICP-MS for the Fingerprinting of South African wines. South African Journal of Chemistry, 63, 207-214. http://www.scielo.org.za/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0379-43502010000100033&lng=en&nrm=iso
- Vorster, C., Van der Walt, T.N., Coetzee, P.P., (2008) Ion exchange separation of strontium and rubidium on Dowex 50W-X8, using the complexation properties of EDTA and DCTA. Analytica and Bioanalytica Chemistry, 392, 287-296. doi:10.1007/s00216-008-2260-0