Department of Psychology
The University of Johannesburg strives to be an international university of choice, anchored in Africa, dynamically shaping the future. The UJ mission is to inspire its community to transform and serve humanity through innovation and the collaborative pursuit of knowledge. The UJ Psychology department draws inspiration from its location in the cosmopolitan city of Johannesburg. UJ Psychology places emphasis on positive functioning, wellbeing and health promotion in the city. The department offers training at the undergraduate and honours level, which extends into professional training of the Masters clinical and counselling programmes and it includes a diverse programme in research Psychology. The department also hosts an active doctoral and postdoctoral programme.
The department is proud of its alumni boasting several high profile South Africans in business, academia and civil society. The curriculum is inclusive of established psychology theory as well as African centred and local epistemologies to provide a contextualised curriculum, while still being internationally relevant. The department has an increasing pan African and global footprint with collaborations in a number of countries.
The Department of Psychology strives for excellence in teaching, research, professional training and community engagement, both nationally and internationally within its location in the Faculty of Humanities, the University of Johannesburg and the broader African urban context.
We aim to achieve this by:
- Offering students an outstanding education in the discipline and profession of psychology that prepares them to deal with challenges and opportunities at all levels of society as well as on the personal, interpersonal and psychological levels of existence;
- Facilitating the development of a management structure within the Department that is characterized by democracy, transparency, respect and accountability;
- Encouraging members of staff in their career development through the mobilization of resources, providing a supportive infrastructure to promote high-quality, peer-reviewed research and its publication, as well as supporting staff to attend relevant academic conferences and workshops;
- Developing a culture of first-rate scholarship and learning for both staff and students and the establishment of excellent teaching practice and productive student-staff relationships;
- Positioning the Department as a member of a world class African University within a world class city that seeks to support staff and students to engage with local communities through research, teaching, skills development and various programme implementation activities;
- Positioning the Department as a non-discriminatory organization that attracts top quality staff and students;
- Undertaking to increase the national and international reputation of the Department and the University by collaborating with international academics and professionals in teaching and research;
- Pursuing appropriate policies that promote the development of a Department that seeks to maintain a social, ethical and political responsibility towards the growth of the discipline of Psychology
- Before registration for a PhD in Psychology you must first have an agreement between you and a supervisor in the Department of Psychology who has agreed to supervise you. If not, you cannot register until you have a supervisor. Information about this process, as well as entrance requirements, and other information, are on the Psychology Departmental website. Please visit this website before applying.
excuse our noise!!
The Department of Psychology has been growing by leaps and bounds over the past year. So much so, that our staff now outnumber offices available. So we had to come up with inventive ways of creating more offices, seemingly out of thin air. Enter 'Construction 101 – How to turn dead space into lively offices'. Watch this space! Our sincere apologies to our neighbours for all the noise and dust during construction. We'll invite you to the roof-wetting-party to make up for it!