Politics and International RelationsHome » Faculties of Humanities » Departments »
Why study Politics and International Relations?
Politics colours everything that happens around you every day: at home; in your social life; in your community; in your work; in your country and in the world at large. Politics is about who gets what, where and when, but are you aware of how much it affects you? This major offers you the best of both domestic politics and international relations issues and affords you the necessary critical skills to understand and meet these challenges all in an effort to improve the human condition.
Possible careers include:
- The diplomatic service and other government institutions
- Research and analysis (for think tanks and other organisations such as SAIIA, SIRR, HSRC)
- Work for the World Bank, SADC, the UN and other regional and international organisations
- Journalism (political or otherwise)
- Gender activist
- Banking sector
- Political risk assessors
- The tourism industry
- Multinational Corporations such as Coca Cola and MTN
- Development agencies/banks
- International non-governmental organisations such as Oxfam, Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch
- Military and/or intelligence sector
- Professor; Associate Professor; Senior lecturer; Lecturer; Junior lecturer, Adjunct senior lecturer
Majors and elective modules to combine with your major include:
- Development Studies
- Public Management and Governance
- Journalism, Film and Television
Click here to learn more
Study abroad! Click here to find out top degrees in Politics and International Relations.
Click here for info on how UJ continues to be one of the best institutions due to the dynamic teaching methods employed by its staff members, partucularly those in our department!
Postgraduate Admission and Enquiries
PhD and MA Graduates (Since 2012)
Call for papers – SADC @30: The Past, The Present & The Future
Call for papers – The Prelude to DecolonisationEvent: The Syrian civil war: Regional rivalries and global proxies
Research Associates and Visiting Professors