Gauta was originally used as a men’s residence until 2002. It officially became a women’s residence in 2003 and opened its doors to female students in January of that year.
It is situated in the Doornfontein campus, behind Jeunesse and next to John Orr Building.
It accommodates 231 students of which 71 are in single rooms while 160 are in sharing rooms.
We also accommodate students from various background and cultures who are registered in courses offered in Doornfontein campus.
• The laundry room is situated in the basement of the building on Floor B.
• The laundry can be used free of charge by all students currently living at Gauta.
• It is open 24 hours a day except during the June/July and December/January holidays.
• Students are not allowed to wash clothes of family or friends who do not stay at Aurum.
• Items such as shoes, floor rugs, heavy blankets, etc. are not allowed in the machines; please use the basins provided to wash such items.
• It is the responsibility of students to report any faulty washing machines or dryers.
• TV rooms are situated on the Ground Floor of the building next to the reception office.
• TV rooms can be used free of charge by any student currently living at Gauta.
• They are open 24hrs a day except during the June/July and December/January holidays.
• No eating is allowed in the TV rooms.
• Visitors are not allowed in the TV rooms unless they are in the presence of the student they are visiting who is a Gauta resident.
• Students must report faulty TVs.
• Cooking areas are situated at all the floors from the 2nd floor to the 11th floor.
• They are situated between Rooms 205 and 207, Rooms 305 and 307, etc.
• Stoves in these areas can be used free of charge by any student currently living at Gauta.
• They are available 24hours a day except during June/July and December/January recess.
• The door to these areas must be kept closed.
• Students are requested to switch off stoves and clean any spilled food after use.
• Students must report faulty stoves. # Kitchen areas
• These areas are available on all the floor passages from the 2nd floor to the 11th floor.
• Students staying at Gauta can use these areas to wash their dishes at any given time.
• Students must wash their dishes and remove them; no dirty dishes are allowed to be left unattended by the owner.
• Faulty sinks or boilers must be reported.
shower & toilets
• These facilities are available on each floor passage from the 2nd to the 11th floor.
• They can be used by any Gauta student at any given time.
• Students must wash the tub and wipe the floor after use.
• It is the responsibility of any Gauta student to report any shower, toilet, etc. that is found not functioning.
• Students are not allowed to do laundry in the bathrooms.
• Only notices that have the signatures of both the House Committee and the Residence Manager as well as a poster removal date stamp will be allowed on the noticeboards.
• Any notice that does not have any of the above-mentioned requirements will be removed.
• Students must obtain approval from the Residence Manager or House Committee if they wish to put a notice on the boards.
• The Study centre is available to all Gauta students and is located in the basement of the Residence. It is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
• The Study centre is reserved for first-year students from Monday to Thursday, 18:00 – 20:00, for their compulsory study times.
Ms Zukiswa Booi
Tel: +27 11 559 6437
Ms Amanda Mphahlele
Tel: +27 11 559 2022