Centre for Academic Staff Development (CASD)
The Centre for Academic Staff Development (CASD) plays an essential role in providing opportunities for staff (who are disciplinary experts) and tutors to develop their educational expertise in order to become better facilitators of learning. It does this by offering the following:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Higher Education – a formal qualification for academics in the post-school environment
- Academic Preparation Programme – a semester-long programme for staff new to UJ
- Professional Development Workshops – provide opportunities for academics to develops in various areas of teaching ad learning
- Tutor Development – a College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) approved tutor training programme for tutors and senior tutors
- Teaching Portfolio Development – support for applicants seeking promotion and / or teaching awards
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SOTL) – support for the development of research in Teaching and Learning
- Teaching and Module Evaluations – administration of evaluations, and support for academic staff emerging from feedback obtained
- Peer evaluation – support for academic staff undertaking peer evaluations
- Development of Academic Heads of Department – workshops for newly appointed Heads of Department.
UJ Teaching and Learning Policy
Framework for the Professional Development of Academic Staff as Teachers
Teaching Advancement at Universities Fellowship Programme (TAU)
TAU is a national programme funded by the UCDP grant to develop leaders across all public higher education institutions.