Name: Nokwanda Mbusi
Location: Room 33-42 Teacher Education Campus, Siyabuswa
Tel: 013 973 9102/3/4
Fax: 013 973 9102/3/4
About Nokwanda Mbusi
Mrs Nokwanda Mbusi has been a school teacher in the Intermediate and Senior Phases for 15 years, teaching Mathematics and Economic Management Sciences from 1991-2005.
From 2006 to 2008 she taught Mathematics and Business Studies at FET level. During this period she was also a part-time lecturer at the Walter Sisulu University in Butterworth, (Eastern Cape Province), lecturing Mathematical Literacy to in-service teachers enrolled for the Advanced Certificate in Education programme (ACE).
By 2008 Mrs Mbusi joined the Walter Sisulu University as a full-time lecturer. Responsibilities included lecturing Mathematics and Business Studies in the B Ed Economic and Management Sciences programme.
By 2013 Mrs Mbusi joined the University of Johannesburg when she was appointed in the Department of Childhood Education at the Teacher Education Campus, Siyabuswa (Mpumalanga). She is responsible for lecturing Mathematics and Mathematics Methodology in the B Ed Foundation Phase teacher training programme.
- 2013 – Incomplete: PhD, University of Johannesburg
- 2012: MEd (Mathematics Education), mini dissertation: “An investigation into the use of traditional Xhosa dance to teach mathematics: A case study in a Grade 7 class” Rhodes University
- 2010: Advanced Certificate in Education (Mathematical Sciences), Stellenbosch University
- 2006: BEd Honours (Mathematics Education), Rhodes University
- 1998: BCom – University of South Africa
- Mathematics learning and teaching within real/familiar contexts
- Learners’ attitudes towards mathematics
- Children’s cognitive development
Mrs Mbusi is currently reading for her PhD which assesses the development of mathematical cognition in Foundation Phase learners. This is under the leadership of Professor Elizabeth Henning of the Centre for Educational Practice Research in the Faculty of Education at UJ.
Mrs Mbusi’s community engagement activities are focused on the Mareleng Teaching School associated with the Teacher Education Campus, Siyabuswa.
Tel: +27(0)13 973 9102/3/4
Fax: +27(0)13 973 9105
Office: Room 33-42 Teacher Education Campus, Siyabuswa