HOD: Department of Human Anatomy and Physiology
Name: Pilani Nkomozepi
Location: 2304Q John Orr Building Doornfontein Campus
Faculty of Health Sciences Staff, Human Anatomy and Physiology Staff Staff Members
Tel: +27 011 559 6722
About Dr Pilani Nkomozepi
Dr Nkomozepi is the HOD and a Senior Lecturer, in the Department of Human Anatomy and Physiology. Pilani holds a PhD degree in Anatomical Sciences (2018) specializing in Neuroscience from University of the Witwatersrand. He has 17 years’ experience as an Anatomy lecturer having taught at the University of Zimbabwe, University of the Witwatersrand and University of Johannesburg. Dr Nkomozepi’s current research is on Dietary and HAART-induced metabolic syndrome, and the related neuropathic, hepatic and renal complications. He is also interested on the impact of high energy diets and HAART on the intestinal barrier and the role of gut microbiota in metabolic dysfunction.
Research Focus Areas:
Immunohistochemistry, clinical chemistry and molecular biology
- Tshabalala, T., Nkomozepi, P., Ihunwo, A.O. and Mbajiorgu, F., 2021. Coadministration of ARV (Atripla) and Topiramate disrupts quail cardiac neural crest cell migration. Birth Defects Research, 113(6), pp.485-499.
- Mukonowenzou, N.C., Dangarembizi, R., Chivandi, E., Nkomozepi, P. and Erlwanger, K.H., 2021. Administration of ursolic acid to new-born pups prevents dietary fructose-induced non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in Sprague Dawley rats. Journal of developmental origins of health and disease, 12(1), pp.101-112.
- Gumede, N.M., Lembede, B.W., Nkomozepi, P., Brooksbank, R.L., Erlwanger, K.H. and Chivandi, E., 2020. β-Sitosterol mitigates the development of high-fructose diet-induced nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in growing male Sprague–Dawley rats. Canadian journal of physiology and pharmacology, 98(1), pp.44-50.
- Dangarembizi, R.D., Nkomozepi, P.N. and Ndou, R.N., 2020. Type 2 diabetes mellitus-related non-alcoholic steatohepatitis in the Zucker Diabetic Sprague Dawley rat. The Journal of Medical Laboratory Science and Technology of South Africa, 2(2), pp.89-95.
- Nkomozepi, P., Mazengenya, P. and Ihunwo, A.O., 2019. Age-related changes in Ki-67 and DCX expression in the BALB/c mouse (Mus Musculus) brain. International Journal of Developmental Neuroscience, 72, pp.36-47.