About Dr Hervé Wabo
Dr. Hervé Wabo is a Research Associate at DSI-NRF CIMERA and Manager of the UJ Paleomagnetism Laboratory. He was previously a Post-doc fellow at UJ (with NRF Freestanding Grant) from Jan. 2014 to Dec. 2015, after a PhD entitled “Paleomagnetism of post-Transvaal sill complexes, selected dykes and the Uitkomst Complex – relation to the Bushveld Complex” from the same institution (March 2009 – Feb. 2013), and an MSc from the University of Yaoundé in Cameroon (graduated in 2004). Prior to his arrival at UJ, Dr. Wabo worked in consulting companies from March 2003 to Dec. 2009 as Field Geologist involved in various geophysical mapping and exploration projects in Central Africa (Cameroon, Gabon, Chad, Nigeria, etc…).
His scientific interest mainly focuses on the characterization of the ancient Earth’s Magnetic Field recorded by various Archaean to Precambrian-aged intrusive and sedimentary rock units (e.g. BIFs, carbonates platforms, mafic dyke swarms, sill complexes, volcanics, LIPs, etc…). This information, combined with rock-magnetic data, geochemistry and radiometric ages is used to constrain the position of important crustal blocks around the world (e.g. Kaapvaal craton in South Africa, Baltica craton in Europe, Dharwar craton in India, Congo craton in Central Africa, etc…) within ancient supercontinents (e.g. Rodinia, Columbia, etc.), with implications for paleo environmental reconstitutions and mineral deposit targeting.
Recent scientific publications:
- De Kock, M.O., Luskin, C.R., Djeutchou, C., Wabo, H., (in press). The Precambrian drift history and paleogeography of the Kalahari Craton. In: Pesonen, L., Salminen, J., (eds) Ancient Supercontinents and the Paleogeography of the Earth. Elsevier.
- Wabo H., De Kock M.O., Beukes N.J., Hegde,V.S. (2020). Paleomagnetism of the uppermost carbonate units of the Purana basins in Southern India: New demagnetization results from the Kaladgi and Bhima basins, Karnataka. Geological Magazine,1-10. doi:10.1017/S0016756820001181
- Humbert, F., Agangi, A., Massuyeau, M., Elburg, M.A., Belyanin, G., Smith, A.J.B., Iaccheri, L.M., Coetzee, L.L., Wabo, H., (2020). Rifting of the Kaapvaal Craton during the early Paleoproterozoic: Evidence from magmatism in the western Transvaal subbasin (South Africa). Precambrian Research, 342, 105687. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.precamres.2020.105687
- Wabo, H., De Kock, M.O., Belyanin, G., (2020). A 2058 Ma paleopole for the Kaapvaal Craton: Implications for late Rhyacian plate motion and duration of the Bushveld Complex, Precambrian Research. 342, 105654. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.precamres.2020.105654
- Wabo, H., Humbert, F., De Kock, M.O., Belyanin, G., Maré, L.P., Beukes, N.J., Kramers, J. (2019) Constraining the chronology of the Mashishing dykes from the eastern Kaapvaal craton in South Africa. Book chapter in the IDC-7 volume “Dyke Swarms of the World – A Modern Perspective”. Springer Geology, 215-261. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-1666-1_6
- Wabo, H., Maré, L.P., Beukes, NJ., Kruger, S.J., Humbert, F., De Kock, M.O., 2018. Mineral transformations during thermal demagnetization of sideritic jasper mesobands in jaspilites of the ~3.25 Ga Fig Tree Group in the Barberton Greenstone Belt, Kaapvaal Craton (South Africa). South African Journal of Geology. doi:10.25131/sajg.121.0010
- Humbert, F., Sonnette, L., De Kock, M.O., Robion, P., Horng, C.S., Cousture, A., Wabo, H., 2017. Palaeomagnetism of the early Palaeoproterozoic, volcanic Hekpoort Formation (Transvaal Supergroup) of the Kaapvaal craton, South Africa, Geophysical Journal International 209, 842–865.
- Wabo, H., de Kock, M.O., Klausen, M.B., Söderlund, U., Beukes, N.J., 2016. Paleomagnetism and chronology of B-1 marginal sills of the Bushveld Complex from the eastern Kaapvaal Craton, South Africa, GFF, 138:1, 133-151. doi: 10.1080/11035897.2015.1099566
- Wabo, H., Olsson, J.R., de Kock, M.O., Humbert, F., Söderlund, U., Klausen, M.B., 2016. New U–Pb age and paleomagnetic constraints from the Uitkomst Complex, South Africa: clues to the timing of intrusion, GFF, 138:1, 152-163. doi: 10.1080/11035897.2015.1098726
- Beukes, N.J., Swindell, E.P.W., Wabo, H., 2016. Manganese deposits of Africa, Episodes 39, 285-317. doi: 10.18814/epiiugs/2016/v39i2/95779
- Harvard University, USA
- Yale University, USA
- Caltech, USA
- Russia academic of Sciences, Russia
- Lund University, Sweden
- Council for Geoscience, South Africa
- Indian Statistical Institute of Kolkata, India