About Dr Elize Smit
Dr Smit obtained her PhD in 2016 under supervision of Prof Egmont Rohwer (University of Pretoria) and Dr Stefan de Goede (Sasol). Her postgraduate research focussed on the development of chromatography, high resolution mass spectrometry and other techniques for the analysis of petrochemical samples. Her research interests include analytical techniques and how they can be used to further the understanding of fundamental processes, especially with the use of chemometrics. Current research projects are focussed on the analysis of complex mixtures, e.g. those obtained from multi-substrate screening of catalysts, and the use of combinatorial methods to streamline catalyst synthesis and evaluation. She is also interested in the use of technology (e.g. 3D-printing) in teaching.
External Research Links:
- Smit, Elize; De Goede, Stefan; Rohwer, Egmont R; Class separation of the trace polar species present in diesel using hydrophilic interaction chromatography and high resolution mass spectrometry; Energy & Fuels 32 (2018) 8944-8954.
- Masike, Keabetswe; Dubery, Ian; Steenkamp, Paul; Smit, Elize; Madala, Edwin; Revising Reverse-Phase Chromatographic Behavior for Efficient Differentiation of Both Positional and Geometrical Isomers of Dicaffeoylquinic Acids; Journal of Analytical Methods in Chemistry (2018).
- Masike, Keabetswe; Khoza, Bradley S; Steenkamp, Paul A; Smit, Elize; Dubery, Ian A; Madala, Ntakadzeni E; A Metabolomics-Guided Exploration of the Phytochemical Constituents of Vernonia fastigiata with the Aid of Pressurized Hot Water Extraction and Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry; Molecules 22 (2017) 1200.
- Masike, Keabetswe; Tugizimana, Fidele; Ndlovu, Nombuso; Smit, Elize; du Preez, Louis; Dubery, Ian; Madala, Edwin; Deciphering the influence of column chemistry and mass spectrometry settings for the analyses of geometrical isomers of L-chicoric acid; Journal of Chromatography B 1052 (2017) 73-81.
- Smit, Elize; Rüger, Christopher P; Sklorz, Martin; De Goede, Stefan; Zimmermann, Ralf; Rohwer, Egmont R; Investigating the Trace Polar Species Present in Diesel Using High-Resolution Mass Spectrometry and Selective Ionization Techniques; Energy & Fuels 29 (2015) 5554-5562.
- Smit, Elize; Jordaan, Werner; De Goede, Stefan; Rohwer, Egmont R; Identifying Important Differences in Mass Spectra Generated by Secondary ion Mass Spectrometry (TOF–SIMS) in a Tribochemical Study; Tribology Letters 56 (2014) 27-36.