About Dr Chux Daniels
Dr Chux Daniels is a Research Fellow in Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) Policy at SPRU (Science Policy Research Unit), University of Sussex, UK. He joined the University of Sussex in 2011. In addition to research and teaching, he supervises Doctoral researchers and MSc students. He is the Director of the Transformative Innovation Policy (TIP) Africa Hub, a research programme that involves Ghana, Kenya, Senegal, South Africa and other countries from the Southern African Development Community (SADC) region.
His on-going research projects include:
– Transformative Innovation Policy Consortium (TIPC). This research brings together global actors to examine and research innovation systems and explore the future of innovation policy – its foundation, formulation and governance. Alongside SPRU, the founding research organisations are from Colombia, Norway, South Africa, Sweden and Finland.
– Transformative Innovation Policy (TIP) Africa Hub. The TIP Africa Hub, funded by the International Development Research Centre, is based around the Transformative Innovation Policy Consortium (TIPC) approach to innovation policymaking.
– ESRC-funded GCRF Inclusive Societies: How to link industrial and social innovation for inclusive development: lessons from tackling cancer care in Africa. Countries involved: Kenya, Tanzania, India, and United Kingdom. Project focus: innovations in healthcare in Africa and beyond.
– Updating the Political Economy analysis of Science Granting Councils Initiative (SGCI) in Sub-Saharan Africa. This research is funded by IDRC, Canada.
– Transformative Innovation and the 4th Industrial Revolution: involves Kenya, South Africa and the UK Alongside research and teaching, Chux is involved in active STI policy work.
He has in recent years provided STI policy research and services to organisations that include: the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP), The European Commission (JRC), UNESCO and the World Bank. His services to the African Union Commission (AUC) include the development of a monitoring and evaluation (M&E) framework for the continental “Science, Technology and Innovation Strategy for Africa” (STISA-2024), research, training and capacity building.
His country experience include: the United Kingdom, various African countries (including Bostwana, Ghana, Egypt, Ethiopia, Kenya, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania and Zambia), Asia-Pacific (Bangladesh, Indonesia, Malaysia, Pakistan), and the US Virgin Island. Chux was part of UNCTAD’s team that reviewed Zambia’s STI Policy and Ecosystem. In 2017 and 2018, he worked with South African government in developing the country’s White Paper on Science, Technology and Innovation. He is currently working with the Government of Uganda in developing the country’s STI Policy Framework.
Chux is a visiting fellow at various research, academic and policy institutions, including the University of Pretoria, South Africa. His career spans a wide range of sectors that include STI, ICT, management, finance, international business and consultancy, energy and construction, and international development.
Social media: LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/chuxdaniels; Twitter @chuxdaniels