Home » UJ Library » About UJ Library »
Emergency Contact Numbers
- Saps 10111
- APK Security Control Room: 011 559 2555
- DFC Security Control Room: 011 559 6450
- SWC Security Control Room: 011 559 5555
- APB Security Control Room: 011 559 1312
Please report all suspicious activity to our campus security control room in your area.
- Do not walk in public while displaying any valuables.
- You make yourself a target if you walk with earphones in your ears. Immediately you show would-be criminals that you have a cellphone on you. You are also unable to hear if cars/people approach you from behind.
- The University has due-care policies. Please familiarize yourself with them. Do not be negligent.
- Do not fall victim to scammers on internet websites. Before you transfer money for accommodation over to a potential landlord, make sure that the landlord actually exists by visiting the house, speaking to other occupants and confirming that the business is legit!!!
- Do not approach any vehicles that drive up next to you. There have been instances where a scammer presents himself as a priest or someone that offers you a job. Ignore them and walk to the nearest area with other people around. Robberies are happening during daytime. Young female students carrying luggage and or laptop bags (outside of campus) are being targeted in the Aukland Park / Melville / Hursthill areas.
- A lot of our students stay in off campus accommodation. When your friend comes over for a visit, under NO CIRCUMSTANCES sit in the vehicle outside of the residence. You are making yourselves a target for a possible hijacking situation. Park the vehicle, go inside and when you are ready to leave, make sure no other vehicles are lingering in the area.
- Protect yourself by carrying on you at all times some form of self-defense mechanism. This can be in the form of pepper spray or a taser. Make sure you know how to use these items.
- Walk in groups where possible, especially at night.
- Please ensure that house alarms are armed before you leave the premises.
- Always ensure that valuables and currency are locked away and out of sight.
At all times, remember SAFETY FIRST!