What drives the UJ Department of Sociology?
The vision of the department
is to be a research-led department advancing
critical, professional, policy and public sociology.
Our core values
- Undertake high quality, socially relevant research and publication;
- Continually strive to improve our teaching and supervision;
- Cultivate an optimal learning experience that engenders critical engagement with a changing world;
- Integrate teaching and social commitment with cutting-edge research;
- Express academic citizenship through participation in professional activities.
- Academic freedom;
- Diversity and social justice;
- International cooperation;
- Life-long learning;