In July 2014 the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Johannesburg, Prof Ihron Rensburg, signed an agreement with Nanjing Tech University and Hanban to establish a Confucius Institute at the University of Johannesburg.
In terms of the agreement, the UJ CI will:
- Provide Chinese language courses (primary level, middle level, advanced level, business Chinese, tourist Chinese, scientific Chinese, etc.) for UJ staff and students, the general public, businesses, organizations and government departments.
- Establish CI classrooms and teaching stations in primary and secondary schools in UJ’s feeder areas.
- Promote cultural exchanges by organizing cultural events.
- Organize academic activities concerning Chinese language research and Chinese studies.
- Organize exhibitions, performance, movies or contests related to promoting Chinese language and culture.
- Organize HSK tests.
- Organize summer/winter camp to visit China.
- Train Chinese language instructors.
- Provide information and consultative services about China’s education, culture and so on.
- Organize principals of schools and officials from educational department to visit China.
- Organize participation in the Chinese Bridge Competition.
- Promote other activities.