Undergraduate Programmes

Home » Faculties of Humanities » Departments » Social Work and Community Development » Programmes » Undergraduate Programmes

For more information email: socialwork@uj.ac.za

This is a four-year qualification offered full-time at the Auckland Park Campus.

Students are required to register for specific courses within the Faculty of Humanities with majors in Social Work (at 4th year level) and Psychology and Sociology (one up to 3rd year level).

In addition to prescribed theory modules, all students are also required to register for Internship whereby they would have to attend Internship classes at the university as well as complete set number of hours of field instruction at approved welfare organisations in the social services sector each year.

The programmes are accredited by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) and in line with the 27 exit level outcomes defined by the Standards Generating Body (SGB) of social work and the Council for Higher Education. This implies that the programmes are of an excellent standard and compatible with national and international standards. Many social workers in key positions in the South African welfare context have been graduates of our undergraduate programmes.

What can I study after completing my degree?

The BSW is accredited at an NQF level 8 (National Qualification Framework). This means that students are recognised as having completed their degree at honours level.

Students may then proceed to a master’s qualification in social work and thereafter to a doctorate in social work.

UJ Department of Social Work accepts applications from graduates for the master’s programme after they have worked for a minimum of two years to ensure that practitioners gain suitable workplace experience and can competently integrate theory and practice.

Can Social Work students specialise at undergraduate level:

No. Specialisation may be undertaken at Postgraduate level only.

Where do Social Workers work:

During your internship as well as upon graduating, social workers may be employed at government departments, municipalities, schools; hospitals, child and youth care centres, homes for the elderly, welfare organisations, the military, mental health centres, drug rehabilitation treatment centres, correctional facilities, etc. Graduates with sufficient experience and accreditation with SACSSP (South African Council for Social Service Professions) and sometimes from SAASWIPP (South African Association for Social Workers in Private Practice) may practice privately.

Registration with South African Council for Social Service Professions (SACSSP):

In terms of the Regulations regarding the Registration of Student Social Workers, as per the Social Service Professions Act 110 of 1978 (as amended), all students in the subject Social Work who receive field instruction at a training institution shall register as a student social worker with the SACSSP (www.sacssp.co.za​).

The SACSSP is the professional statutory body that regulates the educational requirements, professional registration and professional conduct of members of the profession.

Upon payment of the prescribed fee to the SACSSP, the student is provided with a Registration Certificate which is valid for the duration of the student’s study at undergraduate level. Students are required to obtain and produce their student social worker registration with the SACSSP before 31 March of their second year of study; failing which they will not be permitted to continue with their internship modules.

What about registration with Professional Associations?

Membership at professional associations is voluntary but highly recommended. Professional associations serve to address the needs of its membership at an operational level as well as serves to lobby for the interests of its membership. See www.aceconferences/nasw-sa.co.za. The NASW-SA is affiliated to the International Federation of Social Workers.

Who is a Social Auxiliary Worker and where does one study Social Auxiliary Work:

Social Auxiliary Workers are trained as assistants to Social Workers. Social Auxiliary Workers complete a prescribed one year qualification at a recognised FET College or an HWSETA- approved service provider (see www.hwseta.org). One does not need to have a matriculation exemption to study Social Auxiliary Work. The duties and employment opportunities of Social Auxiliary Workers are limited as compared to that of registered Social Workers. Social Auxiliary Workers are also required to register with the SACSSP.



This is a three year qualification offered under the Department of Social Work, at the Soweto campus of the University of Johannesburg.

Students must register for prescribed modules for the fulfilment of the Bachelor of Arts (Community Development and Leadership) degree.

What is Community Development:

Community Development is a career that strives to address community inequality, development problems at community level, as well as poverty and injustice in the country from a strengths-based, people centred and participatory perspective.

Students shall also complete compulsory Internship.

Career opportunities/ Where do they work?

This degree is designed to equip students with the knowledge, skills and values to practice community development in South Africa, in a changing regional and global context. Community Development Practitioners may be employed at government departments, municipalities, non-governmental organisations, community-based organisations, etc.

Is there a post-grad qualification?
This is a new qualification and as such is currently offered at undergraduate level only.