Trained as a veterinarian at the University of Nairobi (Kenya). Did PhD at the University of Liverpool (UK). Awarded a DVSc by the University of Liverpool in 1999 on thesis entitled “Comparative functional morphology of the gas exchangers”. Taught at the Department of Veterinary Anatomy, University of Nairobi between 1982-1996 before joining the then Department of Human Anatomy and Cell Biology at the University of the Witwatersrand as Professor. Served as Head of School of Anatomical Sciences. Joined the Department of Zoology, University of Johannesburg in 2009 as a Research Professor.
Has published over 189 articles among which are six books in the area of comparative pulmonary functional morphology. Twice awarded a Fulbright Senior Research Fellowship tenable at the University of California (Davis) and appointed as a Royal Society Senior Research Fellow taken at the University of Liverpool and a Hooker Distinguished Visiting Professor taken at McMaster University. Has been appointed Visiting Professor at the Universities of California (San Diego and Davis), Liverpool, Wyoming, Tokyo and Vancouver.
- B.V.M. - University of Nairobi (1979)
- Ph.D. - University of Liverpool (1982)
- D.V.Sc. - University of Liverpool (1999)
- 1978: Tutorial Fellow: Department of Veterinary Anatomy University of Nairobi.
- 1979-1982: Assistant Lecturer: University of Liverpool
- 1982: Lecturer: University of Nairobi.
- 1983: Senior Lecturer: University of Nairobi.
- 1986: Associate Professor: University of Nairobi.
- 1988-1995: Chairman/Head: Department of Veterinary Anatomy, University of Nairobi.
- 1989: Visiting Fulbright Professor: Department of Anatomy, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis.
- 1989: Professor: University of Nairobi
- 1991: Professor: University of Nairobi.
- 1991: Royal Society Visiting Senior Research Scholar: Department of Human Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Liverpool
- 1993: Distinguished Visiting Hooker Professor: Department of Biology, McMaster University
- 1995: Distinguished Visiting Hooker Professor: Department of Biology, McMaster University
- 1995: Visiting Professor: Department of Zoology and Physiology, University of Wyoming
- 1996: Visiting Professor: Department of Veterinary Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of California, Davis
- 1997: National Research Foundation rating B3
- 2002: National Research Foundation rating B1.
2002-2003: Visiting Research Scientist: Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego
- Professor, Head, School of Anatomical Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand.
- 2007: National Research Foundation rating A2.
- 2009-2011: Honorary Professorial Research Fellow, School of Anatomical Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand
- 2009-2011: Visiting Professor, School of Anatomy, University of Sydney
- 2009-present: Research Professor: University of Johannesburg
R. McNeil: Molecular biology of the developing avian lung.
J.S. Adekunle: Structural failure of the blood-gas barrier of the avian lung.
A. Butera: Anatomic study of posterior arch and lateral mass of atlas and its relation to a safe posterior lateral mass screw fixation. (MMed).
M. Kietzmann: Morphometric study of the nasal massages of the South African ungulates.
D. Reddy: Development of the avian and reptilian lungs.
W. Fourie: The role of tensor fascia lata in postural adjustments of the human leg: a tensegrity system?
J.N. MAINA, J.B. WEST, S. ORGEIG, N.J. FOOT, C.B. DANIELS, S.G. KIAMA, P. GEHR, C. MÜHLFELD, F. BLANK, L. MÜLLER, A. LEHMANN, C. BRANDENBERGER, B. ROTHEN-RUTISHAUSER (2010). Recent advances into understanding some aspects of the structure and function of the mammalian- and avian lungs. Physiological Biochemistry and Zoology, in press.
MAINA, J.N. & WOODWARD, J.D. (2009). Three-dimensional serial section computer reconstruction of the arrangement of the structural components of the parabronchus of the ostrich, Struthio camelus lung. Anatomical Record, 292:1685-1698.
J.N. MAINA, P. SINGH, & E.A. MOSS: Inspiratory aerodynamic valving occurs in the ostrich, Struthio camelus lung: Computational fluid dynamics study under resting unsteady state inhalation. Respiration Physiology and Neurobiology, 169: 262-270.
C.W. HSIA, J.N. MAINA, S.F. PERRY AND A. SCHMITZ (2010). Evolution of air-breathing. Handbook of Physiology: Respiration Mechanics: Organ, Cell Molecule’. Eds. G. Sieck, W.T. Gerthoffer and J.J. Fredberg. To be published electronically by the American Physiological Society.
D. WARBURTON J.N. MAINA, A. EL-HASHASH, G. CARRARO, P. KEMP, D. RICARDI, S. BELLUSCI, W. SHI AND E. JESUDASON (2010). Pattern formation, growth and development. Handbook of Physiology: Respiration Mechanics: Organ, Cell Molecule’. Eds. G. Sieck, W.T. Gerthoffer and J.J. Fredberg. To be published electronically by the American Physiological Society.
For a more detailed list of information on this staff member, including research interests, publications and conference contributions, please refer to the pdf document below: Download Resume