BEd in Foundation Phase TeachingHome »
Department of Childhood Education, Faculty of Education
Faculty: Faculty of Education
Department: Department of Childhood Education
Programme Level: Undergraduate
Programme Name: BEd in Foundation Phase Teaching
Programme Code: B5BFPQ
Medium of Facilitation:
NQF Level: 7
NQF Credits: 488
Application Start Date: Apr 1, 2022
Application End Date: Sep 30, 2022
The purpose of the qualification is to deliver professionally qualified beginner teachers for the foundation phase. This is done by providing student teachers with a well-rounded education that equips them with the required subject content knowledge base, teaching competence, a sound and nuanced understanding of the integrated nature of theory and practice in education and the context of the teaching profession in South Africa. The programme focuses specifically on child development, literacy, numeracy (mathematics) and the knowledge that underpins life skills.
• A valid National Senior Certificate (NSC) with admission for degree purposes
• Minimum APS 26 Excluding Life Orientation
• Life Orientation is not counted in the calculation of the total APS nor is it considered as an individual compulsory subject.
• The minimum entry requirements for studies as legislated by the government do not guarantee a prospective student admission to this programme.
• Preliminary admission is based on the results obtained in the final Grade 11 examination. Final admission is based on the final Grade 12 results.
Admission requirements&%2358; National Certificate (Vocational) (NVC) Guidelines
Subject to institutional admission requirements, the minimum admission requirement to Bachelor’s degree programme is a National Certificate (Vocational) Level 4 issued by Council for General and Further Education and Training. The minimum legislative requirements for admission to a Bachelors’ degree include the achievement of&%2358;
• Three (3) fundamental subjects between 60-69% - including English as language of learning and teaching
• Three vocational subjects from the designated list between 70-79%.
Admission requirements for applicants holding the National Senior Certificate for Adults (NASCA) or the Amended Senior Certificate (SC(a)) for qualifications in the Faculty of Education.
The B-degree endorsement is a legal requirement to be admitted into the undergraduate programmes in the Faculty
of Education. Thus for both the NASCA and SC(a) for admission to a programme in the Faculty of Education the Senate Discretionary Approval process will be followed.
Applications will be dealt with by the Faculty Teaching and Learning Committee for recommendation to the Faculty Board.
Faculty Board will then refer the approved applications to Senate for Senate Discretionary approval.