Vision and Mission
The Department of Biochemistry strives to be one of the foremost research departments in South Africa, to have international standing, and to be known for its excellence in teaching.
The Department of Biochemistry is committed to provide outstanding teaching in the biochemical sciences in accredited programmes and to conduct quality research of international repute. It is our mission to train competent professional biochemists with the knowledge, skills and values required to address the need for high-level manpower in South Africa.
To fulfil its mission the Department is committed to:
- Provide high-quality academic programmes in biochemistry.
- Provide graduates with a sound knowledge of the fundamental principles and practice of biochemistry.
- Provide the best possible service to other programmes in the Faculties of Science.
- Recruit, support and retain the best possible academic, research, and technical staff.
- Promote the development of staff by creating the right environment and opportunities for staff to develop their full potential.
- Recruit students of high quality, locally and abroad.
- Encourage staff to use training programmes offered within and outside the university.
- Develop and maintain laboratories with state-of-the-art equipment.
- Maintain a motivated and committed teaching staff.
- Continuously develop our didactic model.
- Conduct community service by offering special training programmes, through focused research and the promotion of the professional status of biochemists.
In carrying out its mission the Department subscribes to the following values: fairness to students and staff, scientific integrity, excellence in research and teaching, ethics in research, quality service, social responsibility, instilling the value of life-long learning.