Sustainable Materials and Construction (SMaCT)Home » Engineering & Built Environment » Department of Civil Engineering Technology »
The research agenda of The Centre is aligned with the President of South Africa’s national priorities and the National Development Plan. The research agenda is therefore driven by the following:
- Changes in the landscape of South African Housing National Policies;
- The drive-by Government to eradicate the housing backlog of over 2 million, and the need to provide quality affordable houses;
- The need to embrace the advances in the fourth industrial revolution, through the use of advanced information and communication technologies in construction;
- The willingness of the government to support the use of pre-manufactured and innovative building technologies to fast track delivery of critically needed social infrastructure especially during this COVID 19 pandemic crisis; and
- The rising cost of energy has been witnessed in recent time.