Doctor of Philosophy in Health Sciences: OptometryHome »
Department of Optometry, Faculty of Health Sciences
Faculty: Faculty of Health Sciences
Department: Department of Optometry
Programme Level: Postgraduate
Programme Name: Doctor of Philosophy in Health Sciences: Optometry
Programme Code: P9HS4Q
Medium of Facilitation:
NQF Level: 10
NQF Credits: 360
Application Start Date:
Application End Date: Apr 1, 2022
The primary purpose of this qualification is to provide qualifying students with the ability
1. Perform independent, original and creative scientific research.
2. Contribute significant knowledge to and insight into optometry as well as the specific
discipline of research.
3. Display skills in related research methodologies and in proper formulation through
a doctoral dissertation.
4. Reflect upon decision-making, self-directedness and contributions to optometric
5. Only a Research Doctorate can be done.
30 November 2022
A relevant Master’s degree.
Refer to the Academic Regulations of the University of Johannesburg.