Honours Programme Funding Opportunities
The Honours degree at UJ focuses on preparing students for research and postgraduate study in a field of their choice. The learning experience at UJ helps Honours students to deepen their understanding of the subject matter in their respective field. UJ Honours graduates are extremely well versed in their subject matter, have fine-tuned research and critical thinking skills, and are ready for the next phase of their journey.
The Postgraduate School (PGS) provides support to the University of Johannesburg's Honours students. This is done through the Postgraduate Fund Management (PFM) area. PFM is responsible for communicating the various postgraduate funding options made available at UJ for Honours level of study.
Click here to view the Postgraduate Funding Opportunities PDF document
Honours Bursaries and Scholarships
Please note that all funding opportunities advertised below are prefixed with the closing date for applications/submissions. Please read the relevant opportunity for more details:
The Rothschild & Co (South Africa) Foundation Scholarship Application for 2022
Rothschild is inviting South African students who will be registered for Honours or Postgraduate Diploma in Accounting in 2022 to apply. Students who are eligible to apply are from two faculties: the College of Business and Economics as well as the Faculty of Science.
Third-year students who will enroll either for Accounting, Econometrics, Business Science, Actuarial Science, Mathematical Science, Computational & Applied Mathematics, and Data Analytics are welcome to apply. Should the students meet the eligibility criteria, they are welcome to complete the attached application form and email it to email@example.com together with the supporting documents.
Click here to download the application form
Closing date - 17 September 2021
France - South Africa Scholarship Programme
The call for applications is now open! Apply before the 21 September 2021
The France - South Africa Scholarship Programme is directed to South African students who intend to study in universities or higher education institutions in France for their Master's degree or PhD.
The programme is also open to Lesothan students.
The current call for applications is open for students who intend to start their studies in France in September 2022. Applicants will be contacted individually as needed. The list of the laureates and the waiting list will be announced according to the indicated timeline. Follow-up requests by applicants will not be answered.
Due to the differences between the Southern and Northern hemisphere calendars, laureates will follow a specific programme in South Africa from January to July 2022. This track will include online French courses organized by the network of the Alliances Françaises. It may also include an internship in French Companies based in South Africa, depending on the opportunities and the profile of each laureate.
This call for applications is open to all fields of studies.
Applicants are invited to read carefully the rulebook for the France - South Africa Scholarship Programme and the frequently asked questions. You can also consult the Campus France South Africa website to find more details on higher education institutions and study programmes in France. If you need any help or advice on finding the most appropriate programme for you, you can Campus France South Africa.
- Deadline of the current call for applications: 21 September 2021
- Information webinars by Campus France: follow social media
- Interview of the eligible candidates: October 2021
- Results: November/December 2021
- Specific programme in South Africa (online French courses and possibly internship): January 2022 - July 2022
- Departure to France: Early September 2022
Closing Date: 21 September
For more inforamtion and to apply please visit https://www.southafrica-france-scholarships.com/
Doug Banks Renewable Energy
Doug Banks Renewable Energy Vision (DBREV) is inviting South African and permanent resident students who intend to study for their master's in Renewable and Sustainable Energy in 2022. Students with a background in the field of engineering, science, environment, and geographical science, finance, economics, or development studies are eligible to apply.
The Doug Banks Renewable Energy Vision is a South African initiative aimed at building intellectual capital in the field of Renewable Energy by offering a Scholarship for a masters degree in renewable & sustainable energy studies.
The call is open for applications until the 4th of October 2021.
Applications can be made via the website - www.dougbanks.co.za.
Enquiries can be directed to this email address - firstname.lastname@example.org
German Chancellor Fellowship Programme
Fellowship for prospective leaders
We are searching the leaders of tomorrow. Are you a graduate with initial leadership experience? Do you come from Brazil, the People's Republic of China, India, the Russian Federation, South Africa or the USA? Would you like to implement a self-chosen project that supports your career development, is societally relevant and has a lasting public impact? Are you interested in actively participating in an international network of dedicated leaders? Then come to Germany with a German Chancellor Fellowship from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation to take the next step of your career.
The fellowship programme is under the patronage of the Federal Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany. Up to 60 German Chancellor Fellowships are awarded each year – up to ten per country.
This fellowship for prospective leaders brings you to Germany for one year to implement a project ideayou have developed yourself. We will help you network with international future leaders here to find new answers to the global issues of our time. We offer you
- a monthly fellowship grant of 2,170 euros, 2,470 euros or 2,770 euros – depending on your training and career level
- an intensive language course before you begin your fellowship and funding for German courses during your fellowship, individual support during your stay in Germany
- additional financial support, e.g. for accompanying family members, for travel expenses, for full private health insurance or for an additional German language course
- joint events where you experience professional and personal intercultural exchange with other fellows from your year group and gain insights into German culture and society,
- networking activities that enable you to collaborate in peer groups and independently organise smaller network formats with other fellows,
- a two-week study tour through Germany as well as a number of events where you can connect with other fellows and meet representatives of German businesses and institutions
- extensive alumni sponsorship, in particular to support long-term connections with your cooperation partners in Germany over the duration of your entire professional career
You must meet the following criteria/What is required of you
The German Chancellor Fellowship sponsors future decision-makers, multipliers and thought leaders – regardless of industry. We invite you to apply if you
- hold Brazilian, Chinese, Indian, Russian, South African or American citizenship
- work in a field such as politics, business, media, administration, society or culture and have demonstrable initial leadership experience
- will have completed your first academic degree (Bachelor or comparable degree) no more than twelve years ago. The key date for calculating this twelve-year period is 1 October of the year in which the selection is made.
- want to conduct an independently developed project with a host of your choice in Germany
- have good knowledge of English and/or German
How to apply
- Before applying, you should discuss the details of your project with your chosen host.
- Please submit the necessary application documents to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation online only.
- letter of motivation: Tell us what drives you, what leadership experience you already have and what your career goals are
- project plan: Outline the project you have developed yourself and agreed with your intended host prior to applying. Why is your project of societal significance, and how will you be able to build bridges between Germany and your home country in the future?
- extensive statement including mentoring agreement from your host in Germany
- two letters of recommendation (not more than 12 months old) from individuals who can provide information on your professional, personal and/or academic background
The online application form contains links where the letters of recommendation and statements can be uploaded. Please forward these links to the relevant individuals as soon as possible. We will send you a confirmation e-mail as soon as we have received all the required documents.
If you have any doubts or questions, please contact us (email@example.com ) before submitting your application. We are happy to help.
Closing Date: 15 October 2021
Agriculture, Land Reform And Rural Development Bursary Awards For 2022
The Department of Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development (DALRRD) intends to award comprehensive bursaries to qualifying applicants pursuing and/or intending to further their studies in identified careers in the agriculture, land reform and rural development sector for the 2022 academic year. The bursary will cover tuition, accommodation, books, meals and a monthly allowance. The bursary awards target the previously disadvantaged and impoverished persons from poverty-stricken and rural communities.
Should you have any questions or queries please email: Externalbursaries@dalrrd.gov.za
Full time graduate form
2022 Bursary Awards
Closing date: 31 October 2021
NRF Postgraduate Student Funding for the 2022 Academic Year
University of Johannesburg Closing dates
UJ Internal Closing date|
Honours Scholarships ||
1 Apr 2021||
17 October 2021|
SARAO Honours Scholarships ||
1 Apr 2021||
21 June 2021|
The DSI and NRF are pleased to announce a call of new applications for NRF Postgraduate Student Funding for the 2022 academic year. All continuing studentswho are eligible for a second or third year of funding must submit a Progress Report and not a new application.
The NRF minimum academic requirement for postgraduate funding is 65%. The entry age requirement is 28, 30 and 32 years or younger for honours, master's and doctoral studies respectively, in the year of application, regardless of first year of registration. Successful applicants will be funded either at Full Cost Study (FCS) or Partial Cost of Study (PCS). The FCS funding will be awarded to South African citizens and Permanent Residents only, who are either financially needy (i.e., those whose combined household family income is less or equal to R350 000 per annum), living with a disability or exceptional academic achievers. However, the PCS funding will be awarded to 5% of international students including South African citizens and Permanent Residents who could not be funded under FCS but meet other minimum requirements for the NRF scholarship funding criteria. Scholarships are intended to support honours, master's and doctoral candidates to pursue studies in all areas of Science, Engineering, Technology, Social Sciences, and Humanities.
The NRF has phased out the block grant nomination process as well as the grant-holder linked modalities of funding postgraduate students in 2020. All the postgraduate students will be expected to apply on the NRF Online Submission System by accessing the link: https://nrfsubmission.nrf.ac.za/. No manual applications will be accepted.
Students' Applications Closing Date: Each University set their own internal cut-off dates for students' applications and the applicants must abide by the dates provided on the table above to meet the University of Johannesburg deadlines.
Please refer to the application and funding guide and framework documents when completing the online application form at every step of the process.
For enquiries, applicants can contact the Postgraduate School on the below details.
Postgraduate School contact persons
Mr. Thabiso Masango: Telephone: 011 559 3287
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Boitumelo Mokoena: Telephone: 011 559 4530
Email Address: email@example.com
Ms. Charlotte Motinyane: Telephone: 011 559 4530
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application and Funding Framework
Frequently Asked Questions
NRF Statement of expectation for Postgraduate Training
SARAO Postgraduate Scholarships Application Guide for the 2022 Academic Year
DSI-NRF Postgraduate Student Application and Funding Guide for 2022
NRF Recognised Higher Education Institutions(HEIs)