UJ PhD student Rendani Mbuvha, recipient of Google PhD fellowship in Machine Learning
Date: Sep 9, 2019 | News
Mr Rendani Mbuvha a PhD student at the University of Johannesburg (UJ), and academic staff member at the University of the Witwatersrand (Wits) has been named as one of the 2019 Google PhD fellowship recipients.
The Google PhD Fellows represent some of the best and brightest young computer science researchers from around the globe.
Mr Mbuvha serves as a lecturer in Statistics and Actuarial Science, University of the Witwatersrand and is currently enrolled for a PhD under the academic leadership of Prof Tshilidzi Marwala, Vice-Chancellor and Principal, UJ. He has previously served as Product Development Actuary at Barclays Africa and Actuarial Analyst at Discovery Health. He is a Fellow of the Actuarial Society of South Africa (FASSA) and Chartered Enterprise Risk Actuary (CERA).
In 2009, Google created the PhD Fellowship Program to recognise and support outstanding graduate students who are engaging in exceptional research in Computer Science and related fields and who seek to influence the future of technology.
Every year, recipients of the Fellowship are invited to a global summit at Google’s Mountain View campus, where they can learn more about Google’s state-of-the-art research, and network with Google’s research community as well as other PhD Fellows from around the world.
The list of recipients in the Machine Learning category is:
- Abdulsalam Ometere Latifat, African University of Science and Technology Abuja
- Adji Bousso Dieng, Columbia University
- Blake Woodworth, Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago
- Diana Cai, Princeton University
- Francesco Locatello, ETH Zurich
- Ihsane Gryech, International University Of Rabat, Morocco
- Jaemin Yoo, Seoul National University
- Maruan Al-Shedivat, Carnegie Mellon University
- Ousseynou Mbaye, Alioune Diop University of Bambey
- Redani Mbuvha, University of Johannesburg
- Shibani Santurkar, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Takashi Ishida, University of Tokyo
Latest News| View All News
UJ and TUT collaborate to launch TUT Hub of the…
The University of Johannesburg (UJ) in partnership with the Tshwane
Vice-Chancellor Message – 24 March 2023
Dear UJ Community, UJ has, in recent years, established itself
80-year-old graduates with a PhD from the University of Johannesburg
Henry Ford’s famous quote “Anyone who keeps learning stays young.
UJ ranks among best universities globally for 13 subjects
The University of Johannesburg (UJ)’s academic prowess and quality of
UJ Football Club, SABC join hands in mentoring future soccer…
On Human Rights Day (21 March 2023), the University of