UJ and THE Conference explore Africa’s universities’ renewal
Date: Jul 27, 2015 | News
Gauteng Premier, David Makhura and former South African President, Thabo Mbeki will deliver addresses on the first day of the inaugural Times Higher Education (THE) Africa Universities Summit at the University of Johannesburg (UJ).
From 30 to 31 July 2015, Vice-Chancellors, Rectors and senior leaders from universities in Africa and around the world, will gather for the event that is co-founded by THE and UJ. The event, which forms part of the growing annual Times Higher Education World Summit Series, under the umbrella of THE World Academic Summit, will see influencers from universities, business and policymaking participating in lively sessions, which include forums on funding Africa’s renewal, partnership and university collaboration, as well as science, technology and innovation.
The summit, under the theme, Moving Africa’s universities forward – building a shared global legacy, will provide insight into best practice in the development of world-class teaching and research and shaping institutions’ strategic missions in an African and international context.
Prof Ihron Rensburg, Vice-Chancellor and Principal, UJ on the significance of the Africa Universities Summit and what it holds for the continent.
Speakers at the Summit include:
- Phil Baty, Editor, Times Higher Education Rankings and Editor at large, Times Higher Education
- Ihron Rensburg, Vice-Chancellor and Principal, University of Johannesburg
- Adebayo Olukoshi, Director, International IDEA Africa
- Hubert Gijzen, Regional Director and Representative, Southern Africa, UNESCO
- Mabel Imbuga, Vice Chancellor, Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology
- Rwekaza Mukandala, Vice-Chancellor, University of Dar es Salaam
- Admasu Tsegaye, President, Addis Ababa University
- Cheryl de la Rey, Vice-Chancellor and Principal, University of Pretoria
- Eugene Cloete, Vice-Rector, University of Stellenbosch
- Elena Chernyshkova, Deputy Executive Director Project 5-100, The Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation
- Albert van Jaarsveld, Vice-Chancellor and Principal, University of KwaZulu-Natal
- Vijoo Rattansi, Chancellor, University of Nairobi
- Ousmane Sène, Director, West African Research Centre (WARC)
- Thandi Mgwebi, Executive Director, Research Chairs and Centres of Excellence, National Research Foundation
View full summit Programme