Third TEDxUJ reflects on navigating a world of disruption
Date: Aug 30, 2021 | News
The University of Johannesburg (UJ) hosted its third TEDx event under the theme “Gaining the Edge,” welcoming virtual audiences to the two day event on Thursday, 26 – 27 August 2021.
TED is a global community, accommodating people from every discipline and culture who seek a deeper understanding of the world. It believes passionately in the power of ideas to change attitudes, lives and, ultimately, the world. This year the event took place virtually with a live host and pre-recorded talks.
As a university TEDx event, TEDx University of Johannesburg (TEDxUJ) is designed to serve the university community. Featuring eight UJ staff and alumni, the talks all reflected on this year’s theme in which humankind is experiencing a disruptive transformation like no other, where technology is fusing the spheres of the physical, digital and organic world.
“Gaining the Edge”—offering the opportunity to reflect on how identity is shaped by circumstance, or about the characteristics of compelling moments themselves, highlighting the fascinating thinkers and leaders at UJ & South Africa.
The featured host was Mosa Kaiser, a qualified actor, radio and TV presenter with an extensive background in voice-over work, she has just been nominated for a Liberty award for her Magazine Radio Show Novel Leisure. Mosa has been in the radio industry for over a decade as a content/technical producer and radio presenter and hopes to bring about change for the youth through this medium.
The slate of speakers included:
- Anthony Brown, associate professor of psychology, whose research focused on the body as a pedagogical tool to promote transformation.
- Bolele Polisa, a Broadcaster, Voice over Artist, Facilitator MC and Entrepreneur shared insights on Self Mastery.
- Dali Tembo, CEO & Co-founder of The Culture Foundry Company, canvassing current and future trends affecting Africa’s youth
- Habib Noorbhai, Professor and Co-director of Biomedical engineering & Healthcare technology Research Centre delivered 5 parameters that enhances health and productivity in the digital era
- Ryan Stramrood, South Africa’s top extreme adventurer and Ice Swimmers, focused on the power of the mind
- Sizwe Ndlovu, a rower, Olympic Lauret, coach & motivational speaker, “The winning edge”
- Talita Greyling, Wellbeing Economist, focused on real-time data, The Gross National Happiness Index to measure in almost real-time the evaluative mood of a nation
- Thobile Chittenden, a Community Builder, “Access as the edge, as we move forward, nobody gets left behind.”
These speakers brought a diversity of ideas, research and experiences from a wide array of academic and career fields. With UJ’s vibrant, multicultural and dynamic community, TEDx offers a platform for the innovative research, dialogue and ideas happening on campus to reach a wider audience.
Latest News| View All News
Vice-Chancellor Message – 24 March 2023
Dear UJ Community, UJ has, in recent years, established itself
80-year-old graduates with a PhD from the University of Johannesburg
Henry Ford’s famous quote “Anyone who keeps learning stays young.
UJ ranks among best universities globally for 13 subjects
The University of Johannesburg (UJ)’s academic prowess and quality of
UJ Football Club, SABC join hands in mentoring future soccer…
On Human Rights Day (21 March 2023), the University of
The Lost Prince of the ANC: The Life and Times…
‘This is a radical, free-flowing, thought-provoking, poignant and wry tribute