Name: Petrus Nel
Location: D Ring 415 Auckland Park Kingsway Campus
Industrial Psychology and People Management Academic Staff Staff Members
Tel: +27 (0)11 559 2875
About Prof Petrus Nel
Petrus Nel has been working in the higher education sector since 2003. He is the co-editor of four books in the field of Industrial Psychology and People Management. His areas of expertise are mainly occupational health psychology, organisational psychology, psychometrics, and research methods. He actively publishes in the aforementioned fields and regularly presents papers at both national and international conferences. He is registered as an Industrial Psychologist with the HPCSA and a Chartered HR Professional with the SABPP. He holds a PhD from Stellenbosch University and a Master’s degree from the University of Pretoria.
- PhD (Industrial Psychology) (Stell)
- Career Psychology
- Occupational Health Psychology
- Organisational Psychology
Recent Publications (2020-2021):
- Marais, L., Owen, J.R., Cloete, J., Kotzé, M., Nel., P., & Molefi, L. (2021). Determinants of place attachment among mineworkers: Evidence from South Africa. The Extractive Industries and Society, 8(3). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.exis.2021.100943. ISSN: 2214790X. (Scopus).
- Veldsman, T.H., Hoole, C., Munyaka, S., Kock, R., Titus, S, Winkler-Titus, N., Guiness, R., Kruger, E., Nel, P., Starke, N., Wentzel-Ricketts, K., Veldsman, D., Kabemba, S., & Siziba, L. (2021). Industrial-Organisational Psychologists Engaging with the New World of Work: The Unfolding Challenges of Future-Fitness for the 4th Industrial Revolution. Randburg: KR Publishing.
- Engelbrecht, M., Rau, A., Nel, P., & Wilke, M. (2020). Emotional well-being and work engagement of nurses who moonlight (dual employment) in private hospitals. International Journal of Nursing Practice, e12783. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijn.12783. ISSN: 1322-7114. (Scopus).
- Harunavamwe, M., Nel, P., & Van Zyl, E. S. (2020). The influence of self-leadership strategies, psychological resources and job embeddedness on work engagement in the banking industry. South African Journal of Psychology, 50(4), 507-519. https://doi.org/10.1177/0081246320922465. ISSN: 2078-208X. (Scopus).
- Harunavamwe, M., Pillay, D., & Nel, P. (2020). The influence of psychological capital and self-leadership strategies on job embeddedness in the banking industry. South African Journal of Human Resource Management. https://doi.org/10.4102/sajhrm.v18i0.1294. ISSN: 1683-7584. (Scopus).
- Kotzé, M., & Nel, P. (2020). The influence of job resources on platinum mineworkers’ work engagement and organisational commitment: An explorative study. The Extractive Industries and Society. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.exis.2020.01.009. ISSN: 2214790X. (Scopus).
- Pieters, W.R., Van Zyl, E.S., & Nel, P. (2020). Testing a model of turnover intention: Lecturers at the University of Namibia. South African Journal of Human Resource Management, 18(0), a1450. https://doi.org/10.4102/sajhrm.v18i0.1450. ISSN: 1683-7584. (Scopus).