Name: Aurobindo Ogra
Location: 6201, John Orr Building Doornfontein Campus
FEBE Lecturers Staff Members
Tel: +27 (0) 11 559 6131
About Mr Aurobindo Ogra
Aurobindo Ogra joined University of Johannesburg in 2009 and lectures at Department of Town and Regional Planning, Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment. He is a Professional Planner (SACPLAN) and has 16 years of multidisciplinary international professional experience in urban sector from India and South Africa. He holds Bachelor of Construction Technology (2000), MTech in Urban & Regional Planning (2002) and Masters in Business Economics (2009), and is currently finishing his doctoral research in Engineering Management at University of Johannesburg. He is also trained in specialized programmes in urban sector from leading institutions in areas of: Urban & City Management (World Bank Institute), Strategic Approach to Urban Challenges (Central European University), Smart Cities – Management of Smart Urban Infrastructures (IGLUS, EPFL, Switzerland) and among other specializations. His key expertise and interest areas span across multidisciplinary domains of urban sector: Urban Infrastructure Planning and Development, Urban and Regional Planning, Urban Development and Management, Local Government, Metropolitan and City Regions, E-Governance, Geographic Information Systems, Spatial Analytics, and Smart Cities.
He is a recipient of Local Government & Public Service Reform Initiative (LGI) Fellowship, Open Society Institute, Hungary (2008). He also served as a Technical Task Team Member, Presidential Infrastructure Coordinating Commission (PICC), South Africa to provide strategic inputs in areas of SIP-6: Integrated Municipal Infrastructure Project, SIP 7: Integrated Urban Space and Public Transport Programme, and Innovative Building Technologies (IBT) during 2015-16. He is a member of various national and international professional bodies associated in urban sector and has actively contributed in invited forums, discussions, workshops and other industry engagements. He actively participates and contributes in academic and research engagements at national and international conferences, forums, workshops and regularly publishes in multidisciplinary thematic areas of urban sector. He served as a Scientific Chair for Planning Africa Conference during 2014 and 2016 and spearheaded the process and publication of peer reviewed conference proceedings. He has featured on South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC News) South Africa, on a conversation on rapid urbanization and challenges in Johannesburg (March and July, 2016).
He is presently the Programme Coordinator for Masters in Sustainable Urban Planning and Development (MSUPD) offered by Department of Town and Regional Planning at University of Johannesburg. His current teaching responsibilities at postgraduate and undergraduate level include:
Sustainable Urban Infrastructure and Smart Cities Development (SUSC019)
Masters Research Supervision (Cross-Disciplinary Research)
Management for Planners (TPM431)
Urban Renewal / Project Work-C (EL3872C)
Planning Design: Introduction to Planning Survey (PLSTRB1)
Undergraduate Research Project Supervision (TRP406)
PhD Candidate (eGovernance); Masters (Urban and Regional Planning); Masters (Business Economics); BTech (Construction Technology)
Infrastructure Planning & Development; Urban & Regional Planning; Urban Development & Management; Municipal/ Urban Governance, Sustainable Infrastructure, Tourism Studies; Geographic Information System (GIS); Spatial Planning; Metropolitan Planning; e-Governance; Smart Cities, Industrial Parks, Project Development & Management; Capacity Building, Innovative Building Technologies
• Ogra A. (2019). ‘Planning for Waste Management in Africa’, Routledge, Taylor and Francis Group (ongoing research, scheduled for publication in 2019).
• Ogra A. (2014). ‘Tourism Web Analytics – A Case Study of Garhwal and Kumaon Regions of Uttarakhand, India’, in “Tourism and Hospitality Industry: Modern State, Problems and Perspectives”, edited by S.K Gupta and N Aggarwal, Aman Publications, India; ISBN 978-81-8204-083-0.
• Ogra A., and Kundu D. (2011). ‘Local Taxation of Informal Economies – A Case Study of Two Indian States’, in ‘Local Taxation of Informal Economies’, Edited by: Nick Devas, Open Society Foundations, Hungary, ISBN: 978-963-9719-23-1.
• Ogra A., and Thwala WD. (2011). ‘Comparative Analysis of eGovernance Service Delivery Maturity Levels of Select Metropolitan Municipalities of South Africa and India’ in ‘Reinventing Public Management and Development in Emerging Economies’, Edited by : PA Sigamani and NU Khan, ISBN: 978-0230-33272-7.
• Ogra A., and Thwala WD. (2011). ‘Extent of e-Governance Service Delivery System of Metropolitan Cities of South Africa’, in ‘Reinventing Public Management and Development in Emerging Economies’, Edited by : PA Sigamani and NU Khan, ISBN: 978-0230-33272-7.
• Joseph M.K., and Ogra A. (2013). ‘ICT Reforms and Citizens Delivery – Lessons from Municipal ICT Applications’, Communications of Global Information Technology (COGIT), Vol.5, 2013, Article-3, ISSN 1947-4822.
• Ogra A., and Singh S. (2011). ‘Where Citizens Come First – Case Study from South Africa’, Geospatial World, Vol.01, Issue 09, Apr. 2011, pp 48-50.
Conference Proceedings/ Presentations
• Iloh P., Fanourakis, G., and Ogra A. (2017). ‘Characterisation of Five Different South African Waste Foundry Sands to Determine their Suitability for Use in Concrete’, selected for publication in the conference proceedings of 9th International Conference on Advances in Science, Engineering, Technology and Waste Management (ASETWM-17), Nov. 27-28, 2017 Parys (South Africa).
• Ndebele R., Aigbavboa C., and Ogra A. (2017). ‘Public Private Partnerships (PPPs): An Effective and Legitimate Finance Model for TOD in South Africa’, published in the conference proceedings of the International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management Rabat, Morocco, April 11-13, 2017, ISBN: 978-1-5108-4262-5
• Kgatjepe K., and Ogra A. (2016). ‘Sustainable Transport for Urban Poor: A Case of Johannesburg’, published in the conference proceedings of 7th Planning Africa Conference 2016, 4-6 July, 2016, Johannesburg, ISBN: 978-0-620-69628-9
• Mahlare K.T., and Ogra A. (2016). ‘Comparative Analysis of Public Participation Strategies of Metropolitan Cities of Gauteng, South Africa’, published in the conference proceedings of 7th Planning Africa Conference 2016, 4-6 July, 2016, Johannesburg, ISBN: 978-0-620-69628-9
• Singh K., and Ogra A. (2016). ‘Assessment of Municipal Infrastructure Life Cycle: Case Study of Johannesburg’, published in the conference proceedings of 7th Planning Africa Conference 2016, 4-6 July, 2016, Johannesburg, ISBN: 978-0-620-69628-9
• Tsheoga M., and Ogra A. (2016). ‘Sustainable Urban Infrastructure and Service Delivery Assessment of City-Regions of South Africa – A Case of Gauteng City-Region and Cape Town City-Region’, published in the conference proceedings of 7th Planning Africa Conference 2016, 4-6 July, 2016, Johannesburg, ISBN: 9780620696289
• Ogra A., and Ndebele R. (2014). ‘The Role of 6Ds: Density, Diversity, Design, Destination, Distance, and Demand Management in Transit Oriented Development (TOD), published in a peer reviewed conference proceedings of Neo-International Conference on Habitable Environment, ISBN: 978-1-63415-470-3), Punjab, India.
• Ndebele R., and Ogra A. (2014). ‘A Place-Based Approach to Spatial Transformation – A Case Study of Transit Oriented Development (TOD), Johannesburg’, Planning Africa 2014 (publication in a peer reviewed proceeding with ISBN)
• Sitinga S., and Ogra A. (2014). ‘Place Making in Tourism-Led Local Economic Development (LED): A Case Study of Coffee Bay, Wild Coast, Eastern Cape Province, South Africa’, Planning Africa 2014 (publication in a peer reviewed proceeding with ISBN)
• MPE R., and Ogra A. (2014). ‘Making Great Places in Slums/ Informal Settlements’, Planning Africa 2014 (publication in a peer reviewed proceeding with ISBN)
• Sharma V., Gutto D., Ogra A. (2014). Next Generation Citizen Centric e-Services, IST Africa 2014, published in conference proceedings by IEEE Explore: DOI: 10.1109/ISTAFRICA.2014.6880672 (Print ISBN: 978-1-905824-43-4)
• Ogra A., Thwala W.D. (2014). E-Government Perspectives: Evolution, Strategies and Practices, published in the proceedings of International Conference on eBusiness, eCommerce, eManagement, eLearning and eGovernance (IC5E 2014), DOI: 10.978.819252/12220
• Ogra A. (2013). ‘Mobile Solutions and Application for Smart Government, Proceedings of the 8th International Forum on Knowledge Asset Dynamics (IFKAD 2013): Smart Growth Organizations, Cities, and Communities, pp 1708-1722, ISBN: 978-88-96687-01-07 / ISSN 2280-787X.
• Ogra A., and Onatu G. (2013). ‘Metropolitan housing development in urban fringe areas – a case study of three metropolitan cities of South Africa: Johannesburg, Ekurhuleni and Tshwane’, Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Infrastructure Development in Africa, pp 427-435, ISBN 978-0-620-54070-4.
• Ogra A., and Diamond D. (2013). ‘Spatial Analytics for Reducing Regional Disparities – Innovative Applications of Spreadsheets’, presented at International Conference on Regional Development, Sustainability, and Socio-Economic Development, 5-6 June, Kashmir, India.
• Ogra A., and Thwala WD. (2012). ‘Transparent and Open Governance: Web Content Analysis of Metropolitan Infrastructure Development and Investments Information at Local Level – A Comparative Study of Four Metropolitan Cities of South Africa and India’, Sustainable Human Settlements: The Urban Challenge,17-19 Sep, 2012, Johannesburg, South Africa, ISBN 978-0-620-54069-8.
• Ogra A. (2012). ‘Integrated Infrastructure and Services Planning for Solid Waste Management – A Regional Perspective of Gauteng Region’, Planning Africa 2012, Durban, South Africa.
• Ogra A., and Lewis M. (2012). ‘Role of Planning Institutions in Addressing Skills Development through an Integrated Approach of Institutional Mentorship’, Planning Africa 2012, Durban, South Africa.
• Ogra A., and Thwala W.D. (2012). ‘Role of e-Governance in Participative and Inclusive Planning Practices – Reflections on Investment and Development Programmes at Local Level’, Planning Africa 2012, Durban, South Africa.
• Ogra A., and Onatu, G.(2012). ‘Sustainable Livelihood Approaches through Urban Renewal Programmes – Lessons from South Africa and India’, Planning Africa 2012, Durban, South Africa.
• Onatu G., Mbinza Z., and Ogra A. (2012). ‘Fostering Sustainable and Supportive Communities: A Case Study of Mixed-Land Use Development in Johannesburg’, Planning Africa 2012, Durban, South Africa.
• Arora N., and Ogra A. (2012). ‘Mobile GIS for Construction Quality and Surveyors’, GISSA Ukubuzana 2012 – An African Dialogue: Geomatics for Infrastructure Development and Service Deliver, 2-4 October 2012, Johannesburg, South Africa, ISBN 978-0-620-52913-6.
• Onatu, G., and Ogra, A., Okafor, J. (2012). Energy Efficiency Improvement Strategy in Mixed Income Housing Development – A Case of Cosmo City Johannesburg, Energy Efficiency Convention (SAEEC), 2012.
• Ogra V., and Ogra A. (2011). Operational Efficiency and Automation in Public Transport through Integrated Transit Management Systems (ITMS) – A Case Study of Ahmedabad, India, Proceedings of International Transport Research Conference 2011- A Road Map for Safer Mobility, (12-13th Apr, 2011, Malaysia), ISBN: 978-967-5418-17-4.
• Singh S., and Ogra A. (2011). Geospatial and eGovernance Readiness Assessment: A Case Study from India and South Africa, Proceedings of Applied Geoinformatics for Society and Environment – 2011, (Aug 15-19, 2011), Kenya, ISBN: 978-3-943321-00-5.
• Singh A., Goyal R., Gupta A.K., Ogra A. (2011). Green Roads: A Portrait of Sustainable Design and Construction for Indian Roads, Proceedings of International Conference on Construction and Project Management (ICCPM 2011), (Singapore 16-18, 2011), ISSN: 2010-0248.
• Ogra A. and Singh S. (2010). ‘Geospatial Readiness of Municipalities in South Africa – Assessment of Web Enabled Citizen Centric Geospatial Services’. Paper presented at Map Africa 2010 conference, Cape Town, South Africa.
• Lewis,M.P., and Ogra A. (2010). ‘An Approach of Geographic Information System (GIS) for Good Urban Governance’, paper presented at 18th International Conference on Geoinformatics 2010, Beijing, China, ISBN: 978-1-4244-7302-1, IEEE Catalog Number: CFP1032H-ART, http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=5567741
• Ogra A. (2010). ‘Strategic Planning Interventions along Rural-Urban Growth Centers for Sustainable Development’, paper presented at Planning Africa 2010 conference, Durban, South Africa.
• Lewis, M.P., and Ogra A. (2010). ‘Emerging Pattern of Urbanization in South Africa: Strategies for Planning and Governance’. Paper presented at Planning Africa 2010 conference, Durban, South Africa.