About Dr George Henry
Dr George Henry is the Administration Manager of the DST-NRF Centre of Excellence for Mineral and Energy Resource Analysis (CIMERA), hosted in the Department of Geology at the University of Johannesburg. Previously he was a Senior Research Geologist with the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research’s Centre for Mining Innovation (CMI), based in Johannesburg. He provided geological input into CMI’s Novel Mining Methods research group. He worked for five years with the Council for Geoscience as an Economic Geologist, focussing on metallogenic mapping of the East Rand 1:250 000 map sheet, and was a gold exploration geologist with Randgold Resources before then. He completed his doctoral dissertation on the Damara Sequence in central Namibia prior to returning to industry in 1992. He also holds a Master’s degree in Mineral Exploration from Rhodes University and a B.Sc. (Honours) degree from the University of the Witwatersrand. He is a Fellow of the Geological Society of South Africa and has been a member of Council for over ten years, and is currently the Vice-President for Communications. He is registered with the South African Council for Natural Scientific Professions (SACNASP), and is also serving as a member of the current SACNASP Council.
Ore deposit geology, mineral exploration, sedimentology, rock mechanics
- Eriksson, K.A., Simpson, E.L, Master, S. and Henry, G. (2005) Neoarchaean (c. 2.58 Ga) halite casts: implications for palaeoceanic chemistry. Journal of the Geological Society of London, 162, 789-799.
- Fourie, C.J.S., Henry, G. and Mare, L. (2009) The structure of the Karoo-age Ellisras Basin in Limpopo Province, South Africa, in the light of new airborne geophysical data: a preliminary report. Short paper, South African Geophysical Association, 11th Biennial Conference and Exhibition, Mbabane, Swaziland, 16-18 September 2009, 27-32.
- Henry, G. (2006). Introduction, Physical Properties and Uses of Copper and Cobalt, Types of Copper and Cobalt Deposits and their Genesis, World Production and Consumption, and Exploration Methods. In: Copper and Cobalt Deposits in the SADC Region (G. Henry and M.G.C. Wilson, editors), Council for Geoscience, Pretoria, p.1-7.
- Henry, G. (2006). Lesotho, and Malawi. In: Copper and Cobalt Deposits in the SADC Region (G. Henry and M.G.C. Wilson, editors), Council for Geoscience, Pretoria, p.31-32.
- Henry, G. (2006). Update on copper-cobalt deposits in the SADC region, August 2005. In: Copper and Cobalt Deposits in the SADC Region (G. Henry and M.G.C. Wilson, editors), Council for Geoscience, Pretoria, p.109-113.
- Henry, G. and Motsepe, L.J. (2006) Democratic Republic of Congo. In: Copper and Cobalt Deposits in the SADC Region (G. Henry and M.G.C. Wilson, editors), Council for Geoscience, Pretoria, p.22-31.
- Henry, G. and Oosterhuis, W.R. (2012). The metallogeny of the East Rand Area. Explanation to the Metallogenic Map of Sheet 2628 East Rand. Scale 1:250 000. Council for Geoscience, Metallogenic Map Series.
- Kuijpers, J.S., Watson, B.P. and Henry, G. (2008). Nonlinear elastic behaviour of Bushveld rock. Conference paper, 1st Southern Hemisphere International Rock Mechanics Symposium (SHIRMS2008), Perth, Australia, 16-19 September, 13pp.
- Roberts, M.K.C., Spottiswoode, S.M., Henry, G., Kuijpers, J.S., Perritt, S.H., Jager, A.J., Guler, G. and Majiet, S. (2008). Exploring the possibility of mining the stabilising pillars in South African gold mines. Conference paper, 42nd US Rock Mechanics Symposium and 2nd US-Canada Rock Mechanics Symposium, San Francisco, USA, 29 June-2 July 2008, 11pp.
- Ward, J.H.W., Henry, G. and Oosterhuis, W.R. (2007). The metallogeny of the Kroonstad region. Explanation: Sheet 2726. Scale: 1:250 000. Council for Geoscience, Pretoria, 72pp.
- Watson, B.P., Kuijpers, J.S., Henry, G., Palmer, C.E. and Ryder, J.A. (2008). Nonlinear rock behaviour and its implication on deeper-level platinum mining. Short paper, 3rd International Platinum Conference: Platinum in Transformation, Sun City, South Africa, 6-9 October 2008, 103-110.
- Watson, B.P., Kuijpers, J.S., Henry, G., Palmer, C.E. and Ryder, J.A. (2009). Nonlinear rock behaviour and its implication on deeper-level platinum mining. Journal of the Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, 108, 1-10.
- Wilson, M.G.C., Henry, G. and Marshall, T.R. (2006). A review of the alluvial diamond industry and the gravels of the North West Province, South Africa. South African Journal of Geology. 109, 301-314.