- You will need your UJ student /staff card to borrow books.
- Postgraduate students (Doctoral and Masters, Honours, B. Tech. and 4th-year degree students may borrow 16 books for 30 days; Post Doctoral students/Research Fellows may borrow 30 books for 60 days.
Renew items: All items from the general collection may be renewed twice if the item has not been placed on hold for/by another client.
Please note: Items from the reserve collection CANNOT be renewed.
Items may be renewed by telephone (001 559 2165), online (access the Library Catalogue, click on "My UJLink" and follow the prompts) or in person at the Lending desk.
Other libraries - According to an agreement between Higher Education Institutions in South Africa, staff as well as Masters & PhD students can obtain membership to other University Libraries in order to access resources not available in their own University libraries. This type of membership to another University Library is only valid till the end of each academic year and must be renewed annually. For more detail see Getting Access.
Lending Self Service: You can perform the following services yourself:
- Access your patron record (library record)
- Place a hold on an item
- Renew items currently checked out
- Access class notes or articles placed on the reserved collection
- Issue items to yourself (self-checkout)
For detailed instructions, go to Lending Self Service.
- The Interlibrary Loans service allows you to borrow items not available at UJ Libraries from other libraries in South Africa or internationally.
- The Intercampus Loans service allows you to borrow items owned by any of the 5 UJ libraries.
- Faculty Librarians and Information Librarians provide assistance with subject-specific information retrieval strategies and related research support. Book a one-on-one meeting with the relevant librarian.
Subject guides provide useful links to subject-specific resources and research tools, as well as contact details for the Faculty / Information Librarians.
Photocopying and Printing
- Printing and photocopying are available in all the UJ libraries. It is outsourced to Konica Minolta on all the campuses. Any problems or queries related to photocopying must be directed to Konica Minolta. For more detail, go to Photocopying and Printing.