Community Engagement Excellence Award Winners
In recognition of the contributions of staff members towards Community Engagement (CE) the Faculty of Science presents an annual award for achievement of excellence in CE.
- The 2020 prize was awarded to Dr Cerene Rathilal from the Department of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics, for her involvement and leadership in several projects. Dr Rathilal’s CE work included the creation of a YouTube channel with short videos covering content from Grade 10 to Grade 12. Mathematics syllabus and offering free computer literacy program through the Phoenix (Durban) Rotary club.
- The 2019 prize was not awarded.
- The 2018 prize was awarded to Dr Duduzile Nkosi from the Department of Chemical Sciences, for her “Adopt a School” initiative (Masiqhakaze Secondary School), teacher training as well as her extensive involvement in the Soweto Science Centre.
- The runner-up for 2018 was Mrs Liz Block from the Department of Geography, Environmental Management and Energy Studies.
- The 2017 prize was awarded to Mr Patrick Monama from the Department of Chemical Sciences for his six-year involvement with various community engagement activities within the department, including Soweto Science Centre, Physical Science experiments for Grade 10 -12 learners, Windmill Park Secondary School and National Science Week.