BA/BSc Honours in Psychology
About the Program:
The BA/BSc Honours in Psychology programme at the University of Johannesburg is an academic programme that provides advanced academic and research training in Psychology. The programme equips students with knowledge and skills that will allow them to proceed with a career in psychology, either continued studies (such as Master's programmes professional training or academic programmes), and transfer their skills to a variety of work contexts.
Duration of Study
The programme is presented as a one-year full-time course presented at the Kingsway Campus in Auckland Park. Classes will only be presented during day-time and class attendance is compulsory. English will be the only medium of instruction.
The Department of Psychology offers an Honours programme in which we believe, combines the best practice internationally and nationally, in postgraduate education, within the discipline of Psychology.
The Honours programme currently consists of several modules of which the student has to complete five modules during the year. Please note that the research module is compulsory and includes a research project that students have to complete over the course of the year. Relevant information regarding this module will be communicated to students with the commencement of the first semester. Modules currently being offered include Psychological Assessment, Neuropsychology, Adult Development, Social Psychology, Health Psychology, Therapeutics, Abnormal Psychology and Capita Selecta (if offered for the year).
South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA)
All international students need to have their qualifications evaluated by SAQA, before applying to the University of Johannesburg for any of the programmes on postgraduate level. Please go to www.saqa.org.za for more information.
The program coordinator for this program Ms Thando Maseti.
She may be contacted via the details indicated below:
Telephone: (011) 559-3870
Alternatively you can contact the psychology admin office on (011) 559 3130.
Applications for 2021 intake will only open on the 01st July 2020 and will close on the 15th September 2020
All prospective students need to apply to the University of Johannesburg for admission. https://www.uj.ac.za/studyatUJ/sec/Pages/Academic%20Application.aspx
- In order to apply for the BA/BSc Honours (Psychology), students should have a first degree in Psychology as a major or core component
- Please note that students need a subminimum of 70% in psychology to apply. Academic achievement is the only criterion for selection to the Honours programme at the University of Johannesburg. Please note that this is a subminimum requirement, thereafter students will be put through a selection process and chosen based on academic merit and the number of positions available in the programme.
o Step 1: Apply through the UJ online system and upload your academic transcript (if you are not a UJ student).
o Step 2: Complete a departmental application form and email this form along with your academic transcript (this form must have your UJ student number indicated on it, this will be available for download when applications open). Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please note that you need to apply with at least your first semester results for third year. If we do not have access to your first semester third year results your application will be considered incomplete. No incomplete applications will be accepted.
- Please note that no applications will be accepted after the closing date, please check the website for the closing date as it is earlier than the general postgraduate closing date.
- Please note that even if you meet the subminimum requirement for the application this does not guarantee you a position in the programme. There are a limited number of spaces in the programme and we receive a significant number of applications. Applications are based on academic merit.
Please do not contact the department once you have applied. Official decision letters will only be sent out after selections have taken place, which is following the closing date.
Please contact Student Enrolment Centre should you have any difficulties with your application, details below.
Online Application process:
Student Enrolment Centre: (011) 559-4555.
Student Enrolment Centre Online Chat: https://www.uj.ac.za/Pages/uj-chat.aspx
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Non-degree modules:
Students interested in doing third year modules for non-degree purposes please contact the third year coordinator: Dr Tlali on email@example.com .
Students with their honours already, but interested in doing honours modules for non-degree purposes, please send through your academic transcript and a motivational letter and indicate the module/s you are interested in completing. Please also remember once you have this letter you need to take the letter to faculty, along with your student number and your own motivational letter. Please note it is at the discretion of the coordinator and the faculty to approve all NDP requests. For more info email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in the B(Psych) Psychometry Equivalence Programme, please note that it resides in the Department of Industrial Psychology and People Management.
There are two intakes per year: January and July. It is a six months, full-time programme. In order to apply you must have completed Honours with Psychological Assessment as one of the modules. After successful completion of the programme you may register with the HPCSA as a psychometrist.
Telephone: 011 559 1346
Industrial Psychology and People Management Website: