Selected List of Publications by Staff (2018/2019)
- Botha, Catherine F. 2018. "On the way home: Heidegger and Marlene van Niekerk's Triomf" CLC: Triomf by Marlene Van Niekerk Lawrence Trudeau, General Editor. Layman Poupard Publishing, LLC (forthcoming).
- Botha, Catherine F. 2018. "Nietzsche on Embodiment: A Proto-Somaesthetics" in Studies in Somaesthetics. Ed. Richard Shusterman and Sandor Kremer. Brill-Rodopi.
- Botha, Catherine F. 2019. "The Dancing Body and the Transmission of Collective Memory in South Africa", Routledge Companion to Dance Studies Editors: Stacey Prickett and Helen Thomas (forthcoming)
- Broadbent Alex. 2019. Philosophy of Medicine. New York: Oxford University Press. https://global.oup.com/academic/product/philosophy-of-medicine-9780190612139
- Broadbent, Alex. In press. 'The C-word, the P-word and Scientific Realism.' Synthese.
- Broadbent, Alex. 2019. The inquiry model of medicine. Canadian Medical Association Journal 191: E105-E106.
- Broadbent Alex. 2018. Intellectualizing Medicine: a Reply to Commentaries on "Prediction, Understanding, and Medicine". Journal of Medicine and Philosophy 43:325-41.
- Broadbent Alex. 2018. Prediction, Understanding, and Medicine. Journal of Medicine and Philosophy 43:289-305.
- Harris, Chadwin. 2018. "Advancing the Philosophy of Medicine: Towards New Topics and Sources" with Thaddeus Metz in Journal of Medicine and Philosophy
- Harris, Chadwin. 2018. "The Continuing Allure of Cure" in Journal of Medicine and Philosophy.
- Metz, Thaddeus. 2018. Agwa Oma N'Echiche Ndi Afrika Na Nkowa Nke Thaddeus Metz (African Morality in the Thought of Thaddeus Metz). Ugwuanyi, L. O., ed. and Mbah, M. B., trans. Abuja, Nigeria: Timeless Publishers.
- Metz, Thaddeus. 2018. 'Addiction in the Light of African Values: Undermining Vitality and Community'. Monash Bioethics Review 36(1): 36-53.
- Metz, Thaddeus. 2018. 'Ends and Means of Transitional Justice'. Journal of Global Ethics 14(2): 159-168.
- Metz, Thaddeus. 2018. 'God's Role in a Meaningful Life'. European Journal for Philosophy of Religion 10(3): 171-191.
- Metz, Thaddeus. 2018. 'Koheleth and the Meaning of Life'. In Leach, S. and Tartaglia, J., eds. The Meaning of Life and the Great Philosophers. London: Routledge, 73-78.
- Metz, Thaddeus. 2018. 'An African Theory of the Point of Higher Education'. In Stoller, A. and Kramer, E, eds. Contemporary Philosophical Proposals for the University. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 161-186.
- Metz, Thaddeus. 2018. 'A Bioethic of Communion: Beyond Care and the Four Principles with Regard to Reproduction'. In Soniewicka, M., ed. The Ethics of Reproductive Genetics. Dordrecht: Springer, 49-66.
- Mitova, Veli. 2018. The Factive Turn in Epistemology (Cambridge University Press).
- Mitova, Veli. 2018. "Introduction: The Factive Turn" in V. Mitova (Ed.) The Factive Turn in Epistemology (Cambridge University Press).
- Mitova, Veli. 2019. "The duty of inquiry, or why Othello was a fool" in C. Bourne and E. Bourne (Eds.) The Routledge Companion to Shakespeare and Philosophy (Routledge).
- Singh, A. 2018. "African procreative ethics" in Handbook of African Philosophy: Traditional and Emerging Subject Areas. Ed. Imafidon, E. New York: Springer (forthcoming).
- Singh, A. 2018. "The hypothetical consent objection to anti-natalism" in Ethical Theory and Moral Practice (forthcoming).
- Smart, Benjamin. 2018. "True-to-Hume Laws and the Open Furture – or "Hypertemporal Humeanism" in South African Journal of Philosophy 37(1) 99-110
- Smart, Benjamin., Stevens, Richard.J. and Verbakel, Jan.Y., 2018. Is "chronic kidney disease" a disease?. Journal of evaluation in clinical practice, 24(5), pp.1033-1040.
- Smart, Benjamin., Stevens, R.J., Evans, J., Oke, J., Hobbs, R., Holloway, E., Horwood, J., Judd, M., Locock, L., McLellan, J. and Perera, R., 2018. Kidney age, not kidney disease. Canadian Medical Association Journal.
- Smart, Benjamin and Dammann, Olaf. 2019. Causation in Population Health Informatics and Data Science. (Cham: Springer).
- Winkler, Rafael. 2018. "Naturalizing Gestell? An Essay on Heidegger and Leroi-Gourhan" in Heidegger on Technology. Ed. Aaron James Wendland, Christopher D. Merwin, Christos M. Hadjioannou (London and New York: Routledge).
- Winkler, Rafael. 2018. "Sexuality, Capitalism, and Africa" (with Abraham Olivier) in Journal of the British Society for Phenomenology (forthcoming).
- Winkler, Rafael. 2018. Philosophy of Finitude: Heidegger, Levinas, and Nietzsche (London and New York: Bloomsbury).
- Winkler, Rafael. 2018. At the Limit of Phenomenology: The Stranger in Heidegger, Levinas, and Derrida (London and New York: Palgrave Macmillan).
Recent Staff Achievements (excluding publications)
Prof. Thaddeus Metz received an NRF rating of A1 ('leading international researcher') for the period 2019-2024.
Prof. Alex Broadbent received an NRF rating of B1 for the period 2019-2024.
Prof Veli Mitova received an NRF Rating of C1 for the period 2019-2024
Dr Chad Harris was awarded his PhD
Dr Asheel Singh was awarded his PhD
Prof Veli Mitova received the Vice-Chancellor's Distinguished Award for Book of 2018.