Postgraduate Diploma Strategic Retailing
UJ Postgraduate Diploma Strategic Retailing
** This qualification is the first of its kind in South Africa and is targeted at retail professionals, and offered at NQF level 8 (same level as a BCom Honours degree). **
The aim of the PGDip (Strategic Retailing) is to strengthen and deepen the applied and practical competencies of the student in the acquisition, understanding, and application of retail strategies. It provides an intensive, focused, and applied specialisation within the Retail field to ensure that graduates are able to undertake advanced reflection and development by means of a systematic survey of current thinking, practice, theory, and methodology in the field of Retail. In creating future-fit leaders for both the wholesale and retail sectors, graduates of the PGDip (Strategic Retailing) will enter the global workplace with additional skills in advanced finance for managers, applied completive intelligence, and applied research. These skills will enable students to understand the impact of business decisions on the financial performance of the organisation and utilise industry research when making decisions.
Important to note:
Post Graduate Diplomas are professional qualifications at NQF level 8 (same as Honours level) with 120 credits and allows access to Masters programmes upon completion. Note that entrance requirements must be met for Masters programmes as set out in the College of Business and Economics rules and regulations booklet.
APPLY NOW for the Postgraduate Diploma Strategic Retailing qualification
| Application closing date||Applications are open all year round|
|Duration of study||1 year (full-time) OR 2 years (part-time)|
|Campus the qualification is based on||UJ, Bunting Road Campus (APB) / Online|
Ms. M Frazer
011 559 1423/1414
What are the entry requirements for the Postgraduate Diploma Strategic Retailing?
Due to the specialised nature of the programme students are strictly selected based on academic merit - this means that even if an applicant meets the criteria specified below, acceptance is not guaranteed.
Applicants will only be considered if they meet the below entrance requirements:
- An applicant must hold an appropriate Advanced Diploma or a Bachelor's degree in a retail or retail-related field, alternatively, an equivalent qualification to NQF level 7 as determined by a Status Committee.
- Candidates must have a 60% or higher average on their relevant NQF 7 level qualification.
- Applicants not meeting 60% average pass requirement in the stated subjects, but that can provide satisfactory evidence of at least 2 years of relevant work experience may be considered.
Who should enroll for the Postgraduate Diploma Strategic Retailing?
How do I apply for the Postgraduate Diploma Strategic Retailing? Kindly email the following documents to email@example.com:
- Retail Graduates on a structured graduate development programme
- Product manager
- Retail category manager
- Regional / Divisional managers
- Shopping centre managers
- Key account manager
- Retail Sales manager
- Sales promotion manager
- Retail Brand manager
1. Fully completed and signed application forms:
UJ Application 2020
UJ Agreement form 2020
2. Certified copy of valid passport / ID
3. Certified copies of all degree certificates and academic transcripts (both for complete and
4. Curriculum vitae (no longer than two pages)
Should you experience problems with your application please contact Ms. Alice Avenant on 011 559-1424 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Points to keep in mind:
- From another University:
- Currently studying - if you are applying when you are in your final year, you need to upload a University stamped copy of your academic record including the first semester results of your final year.
- Completed degree – when applying you must upload a University stamped copy of your academic record and certified copy of your degree certificate
- If your documents are not stamped this will result in your application being declined based on insufficient documentation provided.
- UJ student:
- You do not need to upload your academic record or degree – your academic record will be linked to your application automatically (you may skip point 3 above)
What are the costs involved for the Advanced Diploma Retailing?
Download the course brochure below to view the costs for this qualification. In addition, please visit www.uj.ac.za/cbe and click on bursaries to view potential bursary opportunities OR you can visit the UJ home page at www.uj.ac.za and click on Study@UJ followed by Postgraduate to view further bursary and funding opportunities.
How long does it take to complete the Postgraduate Diploma Strategic Retailing?
The programme is offered on a full-time (1 year) or part-time basis (2 years):
- Completed in 12 months (1 year)
- Register for all modules in one year (you can decide in what order you want to complete the modules – the only module that requires the completion of all the modules offered first is Practical Retailing)
- Completed in 24 months (2 years)
- Register and complete all modules over two years (you can decide in what order you want to complete the modules – the only module that requires the completion of all the modules offered first is Practical Retailing)
When are the classes offered for the Postgraduate Diploma Strategic Retailing?
The programme is offered fully online, therefore allowing individuals to complete the modules at their own pace. All modules should, however, be completed in full by the end of year one (if the full-time option is chosen) OR by the end of year 2 (if the part-time option is chosen).
What modules are offered on the Postgraduate Diploma Strategic Retailing – what will I study and learn?
|Module name||NQF Level of the module||Credits per module||Module name||NQF Level of the module||Credits per module|
|Integrated Retail Distribution Management||8||16||Applied Research||8||16|
|Online Retailing||8||16||Contemporary Business Practices||8||16|
|Applied Competitive intelligence||8||16||Advanced Finance for Managers||8||12|
|Applied Strategic Retailing||8||16||Practical Retailing||8||16|
Upon completion of the PG Diploma Strategic Retailing, students that meet the admission requirements* for the below programmes, have the opportunity to apply for the following further study opportunities at the UJ:
- MCom Marketing* (Marketing Management)
- BCom Honours* (Marketing Management) qualification which was judged to be the benchmark qualification in South Africa by a Peer Review Panel.
Ready to apply for the Postgraduate Diploma Strategic Retailing?
Apply NOW for the Postgraduate Diploma Strategic Retailing
Keep the information from this page when you go offline by downloading the UJ Postgraduate Diploma Strategic Retailing 2021 brochure
Frequently asked questions about the Postgraduate Diploma Strategic Retailing
If I'm working full-time, will I be able to complete the programme on a full-time basis?
As the programme is offered online, the rate of completion will be dependent on your own discipline and dedication. If you have a heavy workload, the part-time registration option (see above) is recommended.
My company wants to pay for my fees. Can you give me a quote?
Unfortunately, the Department cannot generate quotes for students. Please contact the College of Business and Economics on 0115593875 or you can contact Student Finance directly on 0115593935.