UJ Advanced Diploma Marketing / BTECH
The Advanced Diploma Marketing develops students' contemporary knowledge, skills and applied competencies within the evolving marketing environment. The programme is strongly focused on the application of knowledge, as well as developing independent cognitive ability and practical research skills. Students are exposed to challenges within the broader field of marketing that stimulates and develops critical thinking and creative problem-solving. Upon the successful completion, graduates will be able to analyse, explain and coordinate marketing and promotion decisions in the context of a marketing operations unit or company, and to assess and interpret the external impact of numerous decisions.
Important to note:
Advanced Diplomas were previously known as a BTech qualification (it is the exact same qualification, only a new name). Within the next years, all BTech programmes offered by Universities in South Africa will be changed and called Advanced Diplomas). This programme is an NQF level 7 qualification.120 credits
APPLY NOW for the Advanced Diploma Marketing qualification
|Application closing date||30 September each year*|
|Duration of study||1 year (full-time) OR 2 years (part-time)|
|Campus the qualification is based on||UJ, Bunting road Campus (APB)|
Dr. Nombulelo Dilotsotlhe
011 559 1414
*Deadlines may be subject to extension.
What are the entry requirements for the Advanced Diploma Marketing?
The number of applications received for this qualification far exceeds the number of students that can be accepted. Students are therefore strictly selected based on academic merit, and this means that even if an applicant meets the criteria specified below, acceptance is not guaranteed.
Applicants will only be considered if they meet the below entrance requirements:
- The minimum admission requirement for entry into an Advanced Diploma is a National Diploma/Diploma in Marketing or equivalent qualifications with marketing majors.
- Only applicants with a minimum of 60% in each of the following mandatory subjects will be considered: Marketing 3 (Marketing strategy), Marketing Communications, Marketing Research, Consumer Behaviour and Sales Management 3A.
- Applicants not meeting 60% average pass requirement in the stated subjects, but that can provide satisfactory evidence of at least 2 years of relevant work experience may be considered.
How do I apply for the Advanced Diploma Marketing?
Applications open annually at the beginning of April and close on the 30th of September at 12pm (no late applications are reviewed). The application process is purely online, no email or paper-based applications will be reviewed. Please visit UJ's website to apply (www.uj.ac.za and click on Study@UJ, followed by Undergraduate – Advanced Diplomas are classified as undergraduate degrees). Should you experience problems with the online system please contact the Student Enrolment Centre on 011 559 4555.
Points to keep in mind:
- From another University:
- Currently studying - if you are applying when you are in your final (3rd year) you need to upload a University stamped copy of your academic record including the first semester results of your 3rd year.
- Completed degree – when applying you must upload a University stamped copy of your academic record and certified copy of your degree certificate
- If your documents are not stamped this will result in your application being declined based on insufficient documentation provided.
- Include a certified copy of your ID
- UJ student: Upload your UJ academic record, your grade 12 marks and a certified copy of your ID
What are the costs involved for the Advanced Diploma Marketing?
Please visit the UJ Student Finance page for any queries related to the costs of this qualification. The student finance page can be accessed from the UJ home page at www.uj.ac.za click on Study@UJ and select Student Finance or phone them at 011 559 3935. Please visit www.uj.ac.za/cbe and click on bursaries to view potential bursary opportunities. You can also visit the UJ home page at www.uj.ac.za and click on Study@UJ followed by Student Finance to view further bursary and funding opportunities.
How long does it take to complete the Advanced Diploma Marketing?
The programme is offered on a full-time (1 year) or part-time basis (2 years):
- Completed in 12 months (1 year)
- Register for five modules in one year (5 modules per semester)
- Completed in 24 months (2 months)
- First year (five semester modules)
- Register for the remaining five modules in the second year
When are the classes offered for the Advanced Diploma Marketing?
The programme is offered on a full-time (1 year) or part-time basis (2 years). The classes are offered in the evenings (Monday to Thursday). Full time students complete all ten modules in one year (five modules in semester 1 and five modules in semester 2 - see the table below), whilst part time students will only complete five modules in year one and five modules in year two.
What modules are offered on the Advanced Diploma Marketing – what will I study and learn?
- Product manager
- Key account manager
- Sales manager
- Sales promotion manager
- Brand manager
- Advertising account executive
- Business development officer
- Customer relations executive
- Market researcher
- Digital Marketer
- Start your own Business
Upon the successful completion of the Advanced Diploma Marketing, students may qualify and to enrol for the Department's sought after BCom (Hons) Marketing Management degree.
Ready to apply for the Advanced Diploma Marketing? Click away - Apply now for the Advanced Diploma Marketing.
Keep the information from this page when you go offline by downloading the UJ Advanced Diploma Marketing (BTech) Brochure
Frequently asked questions about the Advanced Diploma Marketing
If I'm working full-time, will I be able to complete the programme on a full-time basis?
We don't recommend students who are working full-time to register on a full-time basis. The modules are made up of lots of group work and assignments which can be difficult to manage with a full-time job. Also note that some classes are during the day time and your employer needs to provide you with permission to attend classes before you enroll.
Are classes compulsory?
Yes. You can only be excused from 4 classes per semester in totality.
My company wants to pay for my fees. Can you give me a quote?
Unfortunately the Department cannot generate quotes for students. Please contact the College of Business and Economics on 0115593875 or you can contact Student Finance directly on 0115593935.